Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gulia Offline OP
OP Offline

dad is doing horrible. we are trying to force feed this liquid shake stuff the dr. gave us down his throat. we force him to drink other fluids as well to try to keep him hydrated. He's anemic now and consistantly losing weight. lost 5 lbs this week making a total of 35 so far. how long will it take for my dad to begin to get better? 2 months? 4months? 6 months? I am feeling like I may need to hire some help to get through this. Right now he needs attention 24 hours a day just to encourage him to drink. the peg is not an option right now so this is our only way of nutrition. if we don't force him to keep drinking he will just sleep his life away. do any of you have any suggestions for me on ideas to help my dad put weight on or at least quit losing? at what point do the bad things begin to taper off? it seems like it's just going on forever! I can't see an end to it all right now just an uphill battle.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I didn't have a PEG and lost over 60 lbs. It will be a couple on months before he heals enough to start eating soft foods. I used a lot of "breakthrough" pain meds, like morphine before I would eat or drink and I also used "pink magic" swish and spit to numb the throat and sores. I also took in as many calories as I could in a short feeding time because I slept a lot too in the early post Tx.

This was the most difficult time for most of us.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

It took Charlie a good 3 months before he started to feel better. Like your father he slept most of the time- but thier body needs to heal. What his oncologist said really was truthful "I put you into Hell and now its time to get out". Is your father in alot of pain? Does it hurt when he swallows? What is he drinking? I found that Carnation Instant Breakfast with whole milk were alot better with Charlie than Ensure and Boost. If he requires so much help- getting a aide isnt a bad idea because you need to rest from this too.
As a caregivers I know that I wanted Charlie to feel better so I would stop being so scared. His pain, weight loss(35lbs also), and sleep scared me and I felt alone because there was nothing that I could do to make him get better sooner. Please remember that me and everyone else on this site will be here for you.

Delia- Caregiver and fiancee to Charlie ,age 30,(SCC of Larnyx-Stage IV) chemotherapy and radiation- no surgery finished tx:4/7/06 SURVIVIOR!
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Gulia,
It is very scary to watch someone you love struggling as your father is. Healing requires a lot of rest, so he's probably doing what he needs right now.

Gary mentioned the "pink magic" rinse. There is another that the nurses called, "red, white and blue"--the label colors, that my husband found to be very soothing. These rinses give temporary relief so that your dad could more easily swallow the liquid nutrients. Try whatever works--Delia suggested Instant Breakfast. We also made smoothies in the blender from yogurt, bland fruit like bananas, and protein powder.

Healing IS an uphill battle that seems like it has no end. It's a hard battle and you are helping your dad to fight. It may be several months before he regains much ground. Definitely hire some help if you can and keep coming back to this forum. You will find lots of support here and always good ideas from those who are a little further in their journeys.

I'll be thinking of you,
Charlotte

Caregiver and wife of Tom: SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4. Dx 3/03: multi-drug chemo, IMRT, Tx 9/03, No surgery.

My husband's last radiation treatment was 05/18/2006. About two weeks after that he hit rock bottom. He lost about 50 pounds through the whole ordeal (no PEG). On the brighter side - right this minute he is grilling steaks for dinner. And - though it may take him longer than normal to eat it, there won't be much left when he's done. The bottom line - each person recovers differently. He went through 35 rad treatments and three chemos (cisplatin), but no surgery. Have hope - it will get better, it just takes time.

CG to husband, dx 02/09/06 tumor base of tongue spread to lymph nodes. 35 combined xrt/imrt rad plus 3 rounds Cisplatin. Final tx 05/18/06. Parotidectomy & Sel Neck Dis 08/09/06. Lung cancer surgery 04/20/07. All currently in remission.
JAM Offline

Sorry to be "the Grump" here, but if you are truely having to force feed your Dad, what hell for both of you! There has got to be a better solution. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
gulia Offline OP
OP Offline

yes Amy we do have to force feed him. I feel like we have been left on a deserted island. It is amazing to me how the Dr.'s just have a blank look on there face when they give me the orders on how to keep my dad alive. It's like it's no big deal. It's a huge deal to me and I have lost 10 lbs myself since this whole thing began last March. It is very hard to watch my dad suffer and to feel helpless. Maybe this is rock bottom for dad and things will get better soon. I wish he could have the peg tube and then he could sleep and eat while healing but for now this is it. We just keep on encouraging him and trying to get him to stop losing weight and to begin the healing.

Hi Gulia,

My husband finished treatment 5/1/06 and has lost 50 pounds. He did not want a feeding tube, so the doctor ordered TPN delivered through his Mediport. They took the Mediport out and now deliver the TPN through a PICC line. After 11 weeks on TPN, he is beginning to drink 1 Boost per day. His goal is to gradually work up to 6/day and get off the TPN. The TPN has kept him alive until he could begin taking something by mouth. We switch the bag once each day and he carries the bag and pump around in a portable bag. Home health nurses come once a week to get labs and I change the bag daily. If your Dad can't have a feeding tube, is he a candidate for TPN?

Ellen,caregiver to husband,Doug
Tonsillectomy 2/6/06;DX 2/9/06 right tonsil SCC; 1 node right side; don't know stage (III?);completed chemo 4X 3/29/06;radiation 36x 5/1/06
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Why no Peg? His choice or Dr?
Jenn

Caregiver to Erik -1st DX 12/22/2005 SCC of Tongue, T3N1M0, hemi-glossectomy,60 nodes removed, carboplatnin,Erbitux, 35Rads.
Reoccurrence T1N0M0 4/14/08-partial glossectomy-16 weeks Erbitux and Taxol-
3rd reoccurrence 5/18/12- partial glossectomy

What is the major issue with your Dad? Is it nausea, mucositis (mouth sores), inability to swallow (dysphagia), or....???? Each of these individual issues can be addressed and remedied.

For what it's worth, I am 7 weeks post radiation and am still struggling with nutrition. I've been living on Ensure and some weight gain stuff I got at the health food store for over two months now. I had to have someone drive me daily for IV hydration for about 3 weeks (at the end of and immediately following radiation).

Today has been especially difficult. So far, I've thrown up 3x this morning and am trying to get down one can of Ensure this afternoon. You will feel worse if you don't get hydration and some nutrition.

Despite all this, my weight loss to date is under 28 lbs., and I did not have a PEG tube. I don't know what to say except that others here have been down this road and report that it does get better. That's my hope and inspiration.

Riley

dx 2/13/06. modified radical neck dissection 3/9/06 multiple biopsies of upper airway and direct laryngoscopy. 1 of 47 lymph nodes positive for metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma (lymphoepithelioma). Unknown primary. Finished radiation 5/24/06.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics