Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hi all,

If you or someone you care about has been diagnosed with oral cancer and you would be willing to talk about your experiences publicly, please let me know.

I am looking for patient and caregiver stories that can illuminate the facts and statistics of oral cancer.

Right now I am working on a women's health pitch and would really like to speak with those of you women who were diagnosed with the disease yet had none of the typical risk factors, i.e., tobacco or alcohol use.

My e-mail is in my profile, but you can also respond to this topic.

If you have any questions for me, let me know!

Thanks,
Keri Kramer

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Goodness, I was on vacation when this went up and don't fit the profile they are looking for. Come on ladies, let's get this person some stories. When the media comes looking for us, we need to respond.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

am not a lady but this old ugly tired guy will tell it all .the good bad and ugly.the one and only one dr that was honest with my wife and i and the rest that just lied and are doing so now as we speek.
thanks
paul in va

paulie
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I'm 44 and the caregiver to my 48 year old husband who is a non-smoker and very light drinker (about 1 or 2 drinks per month). I don't think we fit your current profile. However, if there is anything we can do to help, please let me know.

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.

hi,
I told myself not to come here today and make a fool of myself again ,but at times self dont listen. I dont type well but i try and i have done everythine i said i would do. I am tired and really down no real reasion i dont think.One of mr webbs staff said that they may visit here, i hope they do.
paul

paulie
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

hi,

I am a caregiver to my husband who (although not a woman) was misdiagnosed because he did not fit "the profile" given that he doesn't smoke, drinks very little, and is not a young male. His oral cancer is caused by HPV 16.

Sophie

Sophie T.

CG to husband: SCC Stage 4, T4, N1, M0; non-smoker and very light social drinker; HPV+
induction chemo begun 7/07; chemo/radiation ended 10/10, first cat scan clear; scan on 5/9/08 clear, scan on 10/08 clear; scan 1/09 clear; scan 1/10 clear; passed away July 2, 2016

Hi. I am a caregiver to my mother. As you can see from my signature, she is 60 years old and NEVER smoked a cigarette - not even to try, and in all honesty may have had 6 drinks per YEAR. The only alcoholic drink she ever really liked was her own homemade eggnog (which is amazing). Last summer (2006) my mother started having trouble opening her jaw. The oral surgeon decided by November that he was going to try a surgery to stretch the muscle in her jaw. It was a painful surgery and did not help one bit. She started losing weight when she could not open her jaw and wound up losing a total of 95 lbs. from last summer until May 22 of this year, when she was finally hospitalized. Throughout this ordeal her general practioner was actually happy that she was losing so much weight (she started out a bit over 200 lbs) and told her that nothing was wrong, keep up the good work, etc. Can you believe that!?!? Anyway, the story continues... my mom kept going to doctors - her normal doctors and new doctors - just trying to get someone to listen. Finally, in early May a new ENT ordered an MRI. Guess what - her insurance did not want to cover it. The final straw was when I took her in May for a tooth extraction and cried in the oral surgeon's office. He sent her to the ER later that day. It is all so insane. One of the first symptoms listed on the Johns Hopkins website for this type of cancer is the stiffening or inability to open the jaw. How any doctor - let alone at least 6 of them - let this happen is beyond me. So, no, you do not need to smoke, drink or do anything else to have this happen to you. It is just awful. My mother was the hardest worker I have ever known and just wanted to spend her free time gardening. Right now she is basically bedridden and I just hope and pray every day that her treatments worked.

Caretaker to my best friend, my mom. Age 60 - never smoked or drank. St IVA oropharynx. 37 radiation tx, 8 carboplatin tx. Diag 5/31/07-TX completed 8/16/07-good PET 10/10/07. Passed away 3/28/08 due to weakened blood vessels from tx. Now watching over her triplet grandsons born on 5/19/08.

Keri

I am more then willing to tell my story ,,I am a 35 year old female ho meets non of the standard risk factors ...what would you like to know !

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

I am sorry it took me a little while to check back in with this thread. Just to clarify, I'm not a reporter but a PR person working on behalf of OCF. I thought it would be helpful to talk with people who have personal experience with oral cancer so that I would have a better understanding of the disease--and also so I would know folks to call on if a reporter wants a "personal story."

If you're interested in chatting with me, please shoot me an e-mail and we can set up a time for me to call you (or we can just chat over e-mail too).

JAM Offline

Hi, Keri, sorry, but I am confused as to what you are looking for. Your original post seems to solicit stories from women who have cancer, this time you are asking for people with personal experience of cancer- is that only patients ? and or caregivers? Please clarify. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel