Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5031 02-17-2005 05:55 AM
OP Offline

Hullo everyone,
I've written before bout friend with tonsilar tumour plus two lymphs. He's had 8 weeks radio and has got very ill indeed in the last two weeks. We communicate by messenger and he said yesterday that they wanted to admit him into hospital as an emergency. He's got severe weight loss and the pain meds and gargles aren't working very well. he said he'd let me know what was happening. He's now gone offline and I think he's probably going in. He hasn't told me where. I don't think he wants to be seen looking so thin and ill..we've been in constant contact before and since diagnosis in june. I feel so sad and lonely. A so-called friend said 'what's in it for you?' You should distance yourself..it's not what I want to do.

#5032 02-17-2005 06:08 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

While your name might be "small minnow" I have to think that you have been a huge support to your friend. People handle illness & other life difficulties in various ways. Sounds like your friend is a private person & your on-line relationship is a great support to him while still maintaining his privacy. At 7 weeks of radiation my husband Bob was at his worst in terms of pain & meds not providing much relief. A month after radiation he started feeling better & the side effects began to decrease. Hang in there, pat yourself on the back for being a good friend to someone in need. I hope your buddy will be in contact soon.

Dx June 18, 2004, neck dissection July 1, 35 radiation txs Aug 18-Oct 7.
#5033 02-17-2005 08:33 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Small Minnow, you're friend is lucky to have you in his life. If they are saying he needs to be in the hospital, then he is in the best place right now. He will get the care and medical attention he needs in order to help him get through this. Radiation is brutal, not a fun time at all. I'm sorry you're feeling so sad and lonely, but he's going through a rough time right now, and I'm sure he will contact you when he can. I know he appreciates your concern. You take care and try not to worry (I know that's easier said than done).

Shelley

Caregiver to husband, Ron. Throat cancer, Stage II. No Chemo or Surgery. Completed 35 Radiation Treatments in November 2004.
#5034 02-17-2005 08:33 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Small Minnow,

After 8 weeks of radiation I was also feeling truly miserable and somewhat embarrassed about how unhealthy I looked to people who had known me for a long time. I found it harder and harder to interact with people (although I couldn't avoid it completely, as I was still working part-time). I disagree with the person who told you to distance yourself -- you've let your friend know that you're available if he needs your help, and that's so important at this point, even if he's not ready to let you help. I'm hoping that with some more intensive medical support from the hospital and the end of his radiation, he'll start to see some improvement soon and get back in touch with you.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#5035 02-17-2005 10:05 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Small Minnow
You are a good friend to have, can you ring around the nearest hospitals that your friend might be in, if you can you could send a card and one of your chatty notes that I know you are so good at..
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
#5036 02-17-2005 01:42 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Small Minnow, I was admitted to hospital when I stepped into the 5th week of treatment. My husband and I felt relieved when I stayed in hospital because I had doctors and nurses taking care of me. I could not eat,lost a lot of weight, had high fever, very low white blood cells count...etc. All these complications if not treated well could cost my life. It is very normal that your friend isolates himself. I only allowed very close relatives to visit me because they had to feed me and 'wash' me. I couldn't even take a bath by myself.I didn't want my freinds to see how terrible I looked. Your friend needs your support at the moment spiritually, if not physically. If you feel lonely, your friend is hundred times lonelier than you!

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23