Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48772 09-10-2007 05:20 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I just went in for my larencopy (spell check!) my ent said not to eat for 10 days to be on a liquid diet,I am starving right now so what can I have? Slimfast and "boost" just isn't enough. I can't sleep because I am so hungry any suggestions?
so I don't know the results for that but according to my radiologist I will have seven weeks of radiation treatments, So far he said he won't have to cut anything away. Soon as I get the results for the test I did today then we will know where I stand. He said it looks good. But seven weeks and he said I can't miss any of them. Yes I am a smoker and it is hard to quit but I really am trying. The radiologist told me to go see my dentist and have bad teeth removed before I start treatments. Is that normal? He said that I will loose them any way? I mean I don't have a problem with this because I was getting ready to have them pulled and way and get dentures but he said not to gt the dentures for nin months. Wow.

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
#48773 09-10-2007 06:07 PM

My husband had to have all his teeth removed in Feb. before he could start treatment. He is scheduled to see the Oral Surgeon the last of Nov to make sure his gums have healed enough to be fitted for dentures. My h. was also a smoker he used a new drug called Chantix this is a perscription drug but for him it worked. Our son tried it and it didn't work for him but he didn't have the urgency to stop like his father. Stay in touch and hope this helps.

CG to Larry 61, 1st Dx 8-18-06 TlNoMo SCC Right Lateral Tongue- second Dx 1-25-07 Right neck dissection-T1N1Mo. Treatment started 3-20-07 Radiation & Etyhol Finish 5-31-07
#48774 09-10-2007 07:47 PM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Dear leprekaun.
i wonder if when you get a moment you could sit and write out exactly what has happened running up to the point you are at now.Then perhaps a diagnosis, sorry to nag but i am finding your story hard to follow because it is a little disjointed.
Liquid diet should be able to include soups and meal replacements which i am sure you will find to be more filling,than just ensure.
The advice about the dentist is good up to a point,as all patients about to start radiotherapy are advised to visit the dentist and hygenist to make sure that teeth and gums are in good condition and deal with any problems .This is because the radiotherapy reduces the slaiva in your mouth that contains the bacteria that helps to keep your teeth protected from damage.It is in no way correct that you will definately lose teeth,some people do some dont.Robin never had any problem with his, and i dont think anyone here would advocate having teeth pulled unless it is really neccessary get a second opinion!!
Dentures wont be able to be fitted for some time after treatment finishes because of weight loss and changes in the actual structure of your mouth that may be caused by the therapy and /or surgery if you need it .

I am sure Mike and Jerry will jump in here and give you the benefit of their professional advice,but dont get into tooth extraction with out speaking to them first.

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23