Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48516 07-10-2007 08:58 AM
OP Offline

Hello all,
I'm a little nervous now and need to vent or/and get advice! My dad started induction chemo (taxol, carboplatin, & Erbitux) June 28th. He's having his third treatment today. When he had he blood tested this morning, they found that he is neutropenic. He still feels fine. However, he's planning on traveling to PANAMA tomorrow!! (Returning Sunday) I think this is a BAD idea. Two full days of traveling within 5 days?!? All that recirculated airplane air?
What do you all think? Have any of you traveled during chemo? I'd appreciate ANY comments!

Stephanie -
Father (60yr., nonsmoker, social drinker) dx 6/18/07 w/ Stage4a SCC tonsil. Mets to 3 LN. Induct. chemo (taxol,carboplatin,erbitux) 6/28-8/14; Concurrent Chemo(cisplatin&erbitux) w/ IMRT x 44 8/20-10/2. Surgery to come.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I agree that's a really bad idea. If he is neutropenic he is very vulnerable to catching anything at all that he's exposed to. When I was neutropenic, I wouldn't even go to the grocery store, let alone think about an international trip. What is he going to do if he's in Panama and starts running a high fever? The airlines can refuse to let him back on the plane if he's obviously sick like that and then his treatment gets all screwed up.

I admire the spirit but the whole thing is really a stupid idea.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

After 2 weeks of Gemcarb, i went to see my son and his wife last week during my 'rest week'--train trip of 1 hour, change trains, another hour, 1 hour on motorway next from train station. Want to 'go places' whilst I still can, but certainly won't consider a trip stateside to see my daughter until treatment is complete----would probably never get insurance anyway!
Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Steph, his traveling, especially on planes where all viruses are freely cirulated, is not only a very bad idea, but it is just about guaranteed to make him very, very ill. How do I know this?

I was finished with treatments and returned home with instructions to get to a hospital if I ran any fever. I did, the local people saw that I was neutropenic, they treated me on Saturday for a supposed bladder infection (wrong), and by Monday I was back in isolation in the big city hospital with a systemic infection, very, very ill. It was the only time in my treatment when I thought I might not make it, and the docs thought so too.

Do not let your dad get to this point. I went nowhere, just stayed at home, wore a mask, had only a couple of visitors, and still got deadly ill. If I learned anything, it is that a compromised immune system is NOT to be taken lightly.

Please, please do not let him leave home and close-at-hand medical care.

OP Offline

Hello Nelie, Brenda, & Joanna,

Thank you SOO much for all of your responses! I was really torn between a) making a huge fuss or b) letting my parents decide on their own. All of your responses really convinced me to make a stink. And I'm SOOO glad I did because they both realized it was a STUPID and UNNECESSARY risk! My mom is going to go and my dad is going to stay. He has been enjoying the past few weeks-not working, playing golf, etc., but now he's ready to get his head in the game and really start be diligent with this fight. (Staying out of the sun, NOT traveling, monitoring himself better...)
I'm SO relieved! I hope you're all feeling well!

Thanks again,
Stephanie

Stephanie -
Father (60yr., nonsmoker, social drinker) dx 6/18/07 w/ Stage4a SCC tonsil. Mets to 3 LN. Induct. chemo (taxol,carboplatin,erbitux) 6/28-8/14; Concurrent Chemo(cisplatin&erbitux) w/ IMRT x 44 8/20-10/2. Surgery to come.

Phew Steph!
What a relief that must be for you! I am generally 'feeling well', but have discovered that this sun-lover can still enjoy sitting out in the shade, or walking in sun, slathered in high-factor sunscreen!

It's still my dream to get out to CA to see my daughter when treatment finishes, but am well aware it might not happen!

Am 'rediscovering' my own locality instead--'Home-Town Tourist'--much safer I guess!!!--Have fun with dad whilst mom's away???
Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!

Steph, I am SO glad to hear that your dad is staying put. Your question brought back the memory of how incredibly sick I was, and I would not wish that on anyone. In a few weeks he will be good to go, literally. You are a very smart daughter!

I'm glad you made a stink too, Steph. Your Dad sounds like quite the fighter and I do admire his spirit but there are times when pretending that everything is just like normal can really be seriously reckless (and, yes, staying out of the sun will also be important).

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23