Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#48223 05-24-2007 03:30 PM
PeteyB Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello Everyone....

Thank You again for all your support!

It was a rough 7 days in the hospital. It is truly unbelievable what the body can endure. And until you go through it, is beyond the scope of ones normal imagination.

I have had 5 major surgeries before this. The worst was one of my motorcycle accidents, even though confined to the tibia, fibula and the talus being crushed between a car and a motorcycle. It would not "set", and needed surgical repair. I had to wait 10 days for surgery (swelling) therefore requiring the braking of the bones as they had started healing, and installing all the new hardware.
Upon awakening to a pain scale of 15, and screaming at the top of my lungs, this was by far the most painful of all.

So I thought this surgery would not be that bad. But when the operation involves the inside your mouth and neck, the psychological level goes up upon awakening. It was not the pain level. This was managed well. For Me, it was the communication and confinement that was the worst. Many here said it would be tough, and I thought I was mentally and physically prepared. The pain was an issue, but it was handled. It was the mental part.

If not for this forum I would have freaked out. Because you did tell me exactly what would happen. I did not "listen" to exactly what you said would happen. BUT I WAS TOLD BEFOREHAND! Somewhere I heard all your voices in unison, one step and sometimes one moment at a time. And you got me through as promised, in that deep and oh so dark time of need and helplessness.

Many topics and people went through my mind and I became them. I was the normal, nasty, noncompliant, meanest SOB you wanted to ever meet. I swore at the nurses and caregivers. I said many, many nasty things. My own wife, mother and daughter "walked out" on me on their last ICU visit which was Monday. I cussed out and hung up the phone on my sister. Why do I always hurt the ones I love? I would not eat the last 1 1/2 days. I cried myself to sleep on many nights. But I still thanked God and prayed for our troops every morning and every night. I can not imagine what a soldier in combat goes through. Unless you have been there, one can only imagine. I'm getting tired now. I need to take my medicines. My Uncle Jim and Aunt Arlene from PA. Have been lurking in the background here and sent me a beautiful card at the hospital. Thank You for your thoughts and prayers. I Love You!

Thank You All for holding my hand. Signed: "A Perfect Weenie"

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#48224 05-24-2007 04:07 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Petey,

You made it home. You made it to the "Currently In Treatment" forum.

Congratulations. I knew you could do it.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#48225 05-24-2007 06:02 PM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

A big fat smile and tears as well are all over my face. 1. I can't believe you are posting so soon! 2.I am so glad you found this site and have this in your life (I only wish my dad did)3. You are so right about the mental thing- Like you, my dad was the golden glove boxer, motor cycle crashing, crazy vietnam vet-you might have been separated at birth- pain is no issue(well until recently but you get my drift) BUT NOTHING could have prepared him for what you just described. The confinement, loss of communication, the anxiety of being so fustrated. He to pissed off everybody, and was a big weinnie, but we got over it. He even tried to make a run for it the first night out of surgery, yanking off IVs, the whole coming out of recovery thing.4. YOU DID IT!!!!! YOU ARE STILL HERE!!!! YOUR FAMILY LOVES YOU AND WE SUPPORT YOU!!! GET WELL SOON WE ALL MISSED YOU! Talk to you soon. Your buddy Karen.

karen and dad
#48226 05-24-2007 07:19 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Bravo, Petey! What a trooper you are! And I am soso glad to hear that you weren't any better at this than the rest of us. You are gonna do fine. Now, don't you go away again. We miss you when we don't have our "Petey fix." Seriously, write when you feel like it, and only then. We'll understand. We'll walk with you now, and we know that you'll be right beside us when it is our turn. I noticed that before you wrote your own post, you responded to Bhavna in her grief. What a prince you are! And even so....you are allowed to be grouchy sometimes just like the rest of us.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#48227 05-24-2007 10:32 PM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Oh Petey how very glad i am that you are home safe and well,and now i have seen your picture on the video it is even nicer to know what you look like ( shades if my Easy Rider hero Peter Fonda) so as i write this i have your face in my minds eye.I have thought about you every day this week and wondered if you would be a saint or a right royal pain in the bum in the hospital,but i guess i always knew the answer to that so once again Way to Go Petey ,you give em hell.

Much love Liz in the UK

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#48228 05-25-2007 03:04 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Sooooo Petey did they get any of your tantrums on film? That could have boosted the TV's ratings and maybe you could have gotten a reality show out of it!! Something like "So You Think You Can't Get Cancer". Now that would increase awareness. Recover quickly and start apologizing.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#48229 05-25-2007 04:32 AM

Petey, Petey, soooo wonderful to read your post! I will bet you were a total trip in the hospital.....So glad you are back home and writing again......God Bless, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
#48230 05-25-2007 05:18 AM
PeteyB Offline OP
OP Offline

I sent out this E-mail to a few people yesterday.

Hello all!
Just a quick note. Home from surgery. Hurting and weak but OK. I want to do a "Drive By" at the Winn-Dixie in an hour when Melanie gets back with my RX's. She will stop in front and I will jump out and weigh myself on the scale right inside the door, and jump right back in the car. Too bad it's not holloween! No shirt, no shoes, just Petey!

Petey scores it 2# for Surgeon 15# to Hospital

Went in at 180#. My new-weight guess is 163#. Will let you know!

Thank You All for Your Prayers! Love, Petey

I got a few "lookers" yesterday, but all went as planned, wearing only a Miami Dolphins pair of shorts, I was driven to Winn-Dixie Supermarket by my wife and stopped at front door. Took a total of about 2 minutes, wheels stop to wheels go. I weighed in at 158 1/2# So I lost 21 1/2# in 7 days. The body will ATROPHY very quickly! 3# a day for me. Total by mouth food intake less than 64 oz. in 7 days. South Beach Diet? What a waste of money! How about "Petey's Palm Beach Diet" ( EXCLUSIVELY FOR THOSE WHO CAN AFFORD TO LOSE A FEW) eek

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#48231 05-25-2007 06:08 AM
Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Petey what a sight that must have been! You are too funny! Congratulations on being home and getting through the surgery, even if you did have a few tantrums. It's not easy, not being able to communicate, or eat, or even breath very well - it's hard to know how tough it is unless you've been through it too... Hope you keep feeling better.

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!
#48232 05-25-2007 06:11 AM

Petey,

Glad to hear all is going well. I also had a battle with a nurse in recovery. I guess it's part of that feisty personality that prepares us "survivors" for the battle ahead. If you're not prepared for a fight, "don't bother applying here". The other good news is that the health care system can't leave you behind again. Hang in for the tough psychological moments. We'll all be here to help talk you thru them. All my best.
Rob

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users