My husband was diagnosed with bilateral tonsil cancer that metastasized into the lymph nodes. He is 10 days away from completing treatment with a total of 37 radiation sessions and 3 chemo using Cisplaten. First let me explain that as devastating as it seems, there is a lot of hope and high rate of recovery.

As his caretaker let me provide you with a synopsis of what possibly to expect (understand that every treatment plan is different for each individual). I am not going to candy coat this memoir as my husband and I have both found that the truth and knowing what to expect helps tremendously. Todd is being treated at the University of Miami, Jackson Memorial. We have been so grateful for the level of care he has received. From the incredibly caring staff to the expert Doctors and Nurses, his care has been carefully planed, monitored and treated with the most advanced research.

After beginning the first couple of radiations you will not feel much different. Approximately after 10 days you will start to get sores in your mouth, your throat will also become sore and you will start to become tired. Todd was still eating at this point. Around the 15-18 radiation treatment, Todd started to get bad sores on his neck, his mouth sores got worse and he started feeling very nauseous. He was unable to eat anything so we decided to have a Peg tube placed. This was a very good decision as he had the out patient surgical procedure done while he was still feeling halfway decent. The Peg tube for him was wonderful as he can take fluids and nutrition without torturing himself eating with mouth pain.

The 1st radiation was quite bad. The Doctor gave him both barrels

SCC Tonsils. DX 11/06. Stage 3/4. IMRTX38. Chemo: Cisplatin 3 cycles. Ended TX 4/27/07