Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sefi Offline OP
OP Offline

This question is for my mother . She had oral Cancer two years ago, which have been treated with surgery, but after one year it made its primary in the nodes of neck same side . it was also removed from surgery, Then the docter recommended radiotharapy for five days a weak.

Last Decmber 2006 on third weak of radiotharapy it was discontuined because of side effects which includes sore thorat, voice , and nausiatic conditions. now she is once again schedule radio tharapy , but now from last few weaks she got severe indigestion and beathing problem. Docter recommend some more test now such as CT scan, other blood test. My question is that what is the stage of my mom and wat is the survival time for such patient according to results. and wat kind of treatment wolud be best for Her.

bally
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dear Sefi - I'm so glad you found this site. There are so many knowledgeable and caring people that can help answer your questions who have had similar experiences. In my son's case, it was the surgeon who told us what stage of cancer it was. Before surgery he had a biopsy, combination CT/PET scan and then, after surgery, the radiation treatment. After two weeks of radiation, the doctor gave him a one week break because of the side effects (nausea, soreness, difficulty swallowing, open and bleeding sores in his mouth) and after resuming the radiation, he had to again have a one week break so he could heal enough to continue. Not everyone reacts to radiation the same and some do better than others. It helps to find out everything you can so that you can ask questions. If you go here, you will see more about the stages of cancer:
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/stages_cancer.htm
Keep in touch and let us know how you and your mother are doing.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Sefi,
Hello, my oncologist gave me my stage and diagnosis. I would try to find out from the surgeon, radiation doc or the Hematologist/Oncologist . A wrong number or letter can lead you to the wrong prognosis. I haven't tried to find my prognosis because my fight is not soley based on the statistics, I believe in amazing things. Most of all my fight is based on the family that I still have many responsibilities to.And the selfish side of the fact that I want to share as much time with my little boy and wife as I can. We just fight this and take it one day at a time. Hey I'm from Somerset, and doing my treatments at the Markey Cancer Center at the UK hospital. Keep in touch. Lee

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics