Next Thread
Print Thread
#47555 01-20-2007 08:48 AM
krishna Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello People,

Has anyone tried this old chemo theraphy drug named Methotrexate known as MTX commonly? I dont know why, but our doctor has tried this for my father after giving 5 doses of Biomab (Erbitux equivalent in India). He says that this old styled chemo might help shrinking the tumor.

He says that according to the books, there is nothing that he can try but he wants to experiment with this drug?

The present trouble my father is having is swelling on his face ( uptil eyes) that is not going away inspite of antibiotics ( Decdan - has anyone tried this antibiotic)? I researched the forum and people suggested physical theraphy. But doctor says that doing that wud aggravate t he pain...

Please let me know if you had swelling or puffiness on face and what antibiotics/medicines helped you...Someone in group was talking about olive oil and Vitamin E. Brian, Any comments?

I will take print out and show my doctor and let him decide then...

Your replies are desperately awaited...

Thanks a bunch..

Krishna

Tongue Cancer T2N1M0 - Surgery done 03/03/06. 5600 units Radiation completed 05/19/06.Recur 10/06 skin metastasis nodules. Electon beam radiation completed. Immunotherpahy suggested.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Krishna, first let me say how sorry I am about your Dad. Also please forgive me for trying to play Doctor here but I just wanted to awnser you to maybe give you some info and I hope it is not incorrect.
You mention swelling and the (anti-biotic Decdan)
----could this possibly be a steroid called I believe Decadron.
As for the chemo Methotrexate I believe I had that for my Leukemia treatment. It is used in the "Maintenance" phase of treatment and if memory serves me correctly it is in pill form. I handled it very well and did not get sick from it.
I hope I have been some help to you and keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
Always,
Mark

Mark D. Stage 3 Nasopharynx dx10/99 T2N3M0 40xrad 2x Cisplatin 5FU. acute leuk 1998.
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi, Krishna, it's Amy. Just wanted to share that John's face has been swollen since 2005. For him it is the result combination of neck dissections, radiation and Erbitux. It's something we live with day to day. How's yoru Dad doing with caloric intake? I've been thinking about you.

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
krishna Offline OP
OP Offline

THanks for your email Amy. Sorry for replying late as I do not come online too often these days being in India.

As far as nutrition and caloric intake is concerned, I think we are managing it well as suggested by a dietician...

Presently, there is no treatment given to my father other than some Antibiotics for reducing swelling. Second dose of MTX (chemo) was recommended by doctor but we refused to take it. First time when my father was given this, his condition worsened...

Dont know what treatment to give now... Biomab (Erbitux equivalent) also did not help much so that is on hold presently..

Homeopathic medicine is the only one which we are giving right now... Any suggestions for reducing swelling or any new immunotheraphy drug, please let me know..

Thanks,

Krishna

Tongue Cancer T2N1M0 - Surgery done 03/03/06. 5600 units Radiation completed 05/19/06.Recur 10/06 skin metastasis nodules. Electon beam radiation completed. Immunotherpahy suggested.
JAM Offline

Krishna, I'm so glad you are in India! Being together is the best medicine of all. I know this is very hard for you, wish there was more I could do. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics