Next Thread
Print Thread
#47537 01-16-2007 02:19 AM
LauraT. Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi guys,

Im almost halfway through rad tx (12 in of 30). I started getting mucositis (sp?) last weds and wasn't really bothered with it until this past weekend. My rad oncologist had given me a mouth wash mix of maalox,benedryl, lidocain. It numbed me up while it lasted but everyday I seemed to have worsening sores, and dryness. Yesterday I woke up spitting up yellow/green mucus (sorry for the gross description). Called to speak with someone from rad (with no luck being that it was a holiday). Got a hold of the duty ent (military hospital) and he had me come in to see him.

He didn't see any signs of infection, gave me tylenol 3 and motrin (600 mgs) for pain. My pain has been horrible, brings me to tears at times. He also prescribed Daniels solution. Have any of you heard of this or used it?

Im not able to sleep right now from the throbbing in my jaw (time for more t3) went to rinse my mouth out and managed to spit out a bunch of green gunk out. Is this normal? Is this a sign of infection? I am not running a fever yet but I wasn't given anything to refer to for signs of infection. But, with my daughter obvious signs of infection are changes in the color of her sputum. We have lots of discussions on colors of green in the cf forums, and other kinds of gross topics (lol fun stuff....). I will see my rad oncologist today since I have tx today, but was just curious if this is *normal* with rad tx or not. BTW, my gums look a little more normal since Ive rinsed a few times with the Daniel's solution.

My tylenol 3 is kicking in now and making me a wee drowsy so I am going back to bed. Hope all are feeling well, if not on the road to recovery.

Thanks ,
Laura

Laura T T2NOMO Small Salivary Gland Cancer
#47538 01-16-2007 06:54 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Laura,
Sorry to hear you're feeling crummy. Rad is like that, and Im afraid you're not going to see much change (for the good) for a few more weeks.

Mucousitis is normal, so are the sores and the pain. I wound up taking morphine to control that side of things.

Never heard of the rinse you were prescribed, I'm afraid. I'd agree with you, I'd be concerned about an infection with a change of color of sputum. Your RO will be on top of that today, I'm sure. Hang in, you're getting close to 1/2 way!
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
#47539 01-16-2007 10:20 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Laura,

The pain and mucositis is normal. It will hurt like H. The mucositis affects us all differently. I had morphine + oxycontin + plus 2 fentynol patches when it was at its worse. Please let your ONC know. The alleviation of pain from treatment is difficult at best, but they can give you a lot more to help resuce the discomfort. Hang in there, you are half way through.

Steve

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
#47540 01-16-2007 07:30 PM
LauraT. Offline OP
OP Offline

Went in for my tx today and ended up seeing a different oncologist since mine was attending a tumor board. Got the same answer from this doc as I did from the ent. He didn't see any obvious sign of infection either. I guess they figure no fever , no infection because you sure can't see much in my mouth since my jaw doesn't want to work for me. I told him repeatedly that the stuff Im spitting up changed from yellow to green. He thinks its skin ...doesn't look like skin to me..... Oh well, what do I know. He did prescribe morphine for me. My husband waited 2hrs in the pharmacy for it before we got fed up and left. I was really hurting and tired of waiting so we will attempt to pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks guys for responding.

Laura T T2NOMO Small Salivary Gland Cancer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users