Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
lyle.4 Offline OP
OP Offline

hello again,thank you for your thoughts and prayers,they must be working,i'm feeling better.i was first dignosed scc rt.tonsil and lymph node stage3 2/04.for the last five years of his life i was caregiver to my father, an m.d. with parkinsons,he passed1/06.originally i would of had surgery,my father didn't want me to,and i couldn't find anyone to take care of him.looking back it doesn't make much sense.i started rad.3/04 but i had side effects.i asked the doctor if he could treat just the cancer,and spare my healthy tissue.he never told me what i asked for is called stereotactic rad.ironically his hospital offered it the next year.i've also found out that your first shot with radiation is your only chance of eliminating the cancer.i stopped after two weeks,a second round of rad.10/04 did little to reduce it,i finally had stereotactic rad.9/05 but too late.i had been scheduled for a follow-up in n.y.c. but asked if my referring doctor in ithaca could take over,i am to have my second visit on tuesday and a swallowing test and i will drive myself.i have mixed feelings about returning to new york,they have a factory atmosphere that i wish i'd never seen.i'm sorry if i'm slow to respond i've been sleeping alot lately.thank you nelie,tim and carol for your kindness.lyle

lyle.4
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hang in ther partner. And like I said keep fighting.

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Lyle, Since you can't have radiation, is there no chemo they can give you to help prevent a recurrence at this point? If it were me, I would want to do everything I could to try to make sure the surgery was worth it and the cancer was gone, almost more so *because* it was such drastic surgery.

Anyway, good luck with the visit Tuesday. I hope you'll get your stitches out and that will make you feel better.

I don't know where "in the middle of nowhere" you live or how close it is to here but please send me a private message if there's anything you need I might be able to help with.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Lyle,

Your case sounds a lot like mine. I had recurring cancer that grew aggressively to where most of my tongue was removed in Feb 04. I was on a feeding tube and trach. The trach fell out on its own after 6 weeks. Still have the feeding tube but I admit I have not been as aggressive as I should be about taking more food orally.
This maybe due to fact ENT would not clear me for therapy until Nov. 04. I had 36 rad treatments in spring 04 and about a month after that I got a severe cellulitis infection where the neck dissections were done. They had to drain the area (loads of fun!) and put inin the hospital for 2 days with strong antibiotics.
I had a year of therapy and the first one had me use a syringe to "shoot" liqiuid to the back of my mouth. I am still using this method to keep my swallowing functions intact. My taste sensation is pretty good now. The only thing is that neither speech therapist had had much experience with oral cancer patients. If possible, try to locate a therapisy with experience in treating oral cancer patients, especially those who have had glossectomies.
I saw a maxillofacial prosthodontist about a year ago who fit me with a palatal drop mouth prostheses. My family tells me it helps marginally with my poor speech but it is not fun to wear so I don't use it much.
As far as getting the PEG tube out, I have read here about some people who have had tongue removal that had it out in 6-8 months. Guess they were more aggressive than me.
My neck is still stiff especially later in the day. I take a little Roxicet at bedtime and also restoril that really helps with sleep.
It is rough dealing with loss of tongue and you have my sincerest wishes for recovery. I try to be as positive as I can getting other interests and exercising.
Just as an afterthought, I read about a guy in Vienna, Ausria who had a successful tongue transplant in July 2003. Funny thing is I haven't read anymore about it in medical jourenals since then and don't know if he made it OK. Maybe doctors and insurance companies here don't want to advertise it because it is probably VERY expensive.
Well, that'sa a lot but feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Jim Haucke
--------------------------------------------------
SCC Rt lateral tongue Dx 9/03, Surg 11/03 (T2/N0M0);recur SCC BOT and anterior tongue Dx 1/04; surg 2/04 (T4/N0M0) subtotal glossectomy, forearm free flap, floor of mouth reconstruction,pharyngoplasty;trach until 3/04;PEG still have; 36 rad (3/04-5/04)therapy 12/04-12/05; 2 esophagus endoscopies

lyle.4 Offline OP
OP Offline

jim,thank you very much for writing.it's nice to hear from someone who has a similar situation.i had a swallowing test last week,everything goes right into lungs,now they're saying 6-9months,w/swallowing therapy before i may be able to swallow,and maybe more surgery.i'm thinking i might be better off moving to where i was treated.right now i'm about 3&1/2hours away and am seeing the doctor who referred my surgeon.i guess what they saved of your tongue is giving you taste,they put a plug in my trache and i can talk barely well enough depending on how much phlegm there is,i don't expect to taste unless thru smell,if that's possible.i've had the trache about six weeks,did you have any problems with coughing up phlegm or clearing throat after trache fell out?i can't believe it took six weeks for someone to give me a brush to clean the roof and back of my mouth.i brush every day but had scars and mucous that built up.now i'm pretty clean,but can't imagine what my breath smells like.i take roxicet at night also,it helps alot.and i try to get out,it seems to help,which is one of the reasons i'd like to move.i'm in the middle of farm country and there's no place to walk without driving.the palatal drop mouth prothesis sounds interesting,my speech is good somedays but not others.did you ever have a plug in your trache?i was hoping to hear from someone who had gone thru this.thank you so much for the opportunity to ask.and i wish you the best possible outcome.lyle

lyle.4
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users