Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#47112 09-02-2006 09:43 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Linda,
Way to go, you sound like you are doing fine, especially your attitude. (Although it used to bug me when people who had never been through anything like this would say: "keep a good attitude, it really helps"). Getting a PEG is a very simple procedure and nothing to fear.
It just so happens that I finished my treatments right before labor day 4 years ago, so I indentify with you finishing up this hot time of year. Soon you will be through.

Take care,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#47113 09-02-2006 01:45 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dear Linda, once "Miss Peg" is in place, you won't have to deal too much with the weight loss issue. My husband is up to about 4500 cal. a day, strictly by peg. [Course some of that is beer, but I don't care] In the past 3 weeks, he has come from 117 lbs up to 130. Yippee, indeed laugh .
Your attitude is so good-kep it up and glad you had fun with your sister. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#47114 09-05-2006 02:51 AM

Linda, About halfway through my treatments I could not longer eat solid food. I didn't even want it, it was too much work to eat. I lived on liquid dietary supplements like Ensure (except I bought the store brand because they were cheaper). It didn't matter what they tasted like except I preferred vanilla because it seemed to have a better texture. I lived on this liquid diet for several months. I started back on solids with creamy soups and pasta. You need to eat to heal. My doctor told me I had to eat to get better and I made the effort because I really wanted to get better as soon as possible. I got my appetite back about a month and a half after treatments ended. You need to get into the texture of the food while you have no taste. Serve yourself on your good dishes and appreciate the appearance and texture of the food. You seem to have a good attitude about your radiation and that is what got me through it. Welcome those beams of radiation into your body don't resent them. They are what will kill any cancer that might be in there. If you lose taste buds and salivary glands along the way it is worth it! Hand in there. You will get through this. I am celebrating my one year anniversary of finishing treatments and being cancer free this week. I feel great. (I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the tonsil.) Rainey

#47115 09-08-2006 01:01 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello Everyone, how goes it? Long time since i posted on here, i'll bring you up to date...First of all, TODAY IS FRIDAY laugh 4 WEEKS DOWN AND 2 MORE TO GO!!! Wow time flys by when your having so much fun. I totally have stoped eating,sorry i just cant help it,(lost 20pds.)Soooo the good news is this, I am having the tube put in Monday, spent all day down town at M.D. giving blood and getting ready, DAMNIT i cant wait, i have started to scare myself and needless to say, no energy at all, haha its amazing what nutrition does for us, huh? My neck is starting to feel like a really bad "sunburn" but it is livable, my throat, well its just not that bad as long as i keep drinking water, it helps take the pain away cause it stays moist instead of dry ( little trick i learned when having my tonsils out ) Im not on any pain medicine at all, dont really feel the need to yet! Knock on wood!!! The thick spit, it drives me crazy though, someone should find a cure for that in itself, we can fly to the moon but we cant help cure dry mouth??? But that is about it so far, next week im going on 5, then only 1 more then DONE!!! Then getting well, which i just welcome not having to go to treatment every dang day!!! One question, has anyone had problems with gagging on the stint??? This has become a major ordeal with me, and it makes me cry, cause i dont know why this is happening now??? Have a great weekend everyone and lets get some rest laugh

#47116 09-11-2006 05:47 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Got the tube put in today, I forgot what it felt like to be "full". So far so good. They had to give me some saline due to being dehydrated, but all is fine now. It was great for my husband to wake me up this evening and tell me "honey its time for supper", its funny what we take for granted! Well no one answered my question on how to not gag with the stint during treatment? Does anyone know? We'll talk again soon, everyone have a great week laugh

#47117 09-12-2006 03:17 PM
JAM Offline

Boy, gotta love your attitude! Linda, I don't know if what you are referring to as the "stint" is the rubber protector for your teeth or something else, but you might want to ask about a med to relax you or make you drousy before having the rad tx. Glad you got the peg. Keep that great attitude. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#47118 09-18-2006 04:53 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Well its been 1 week since i got the tube!!! What a life saver, i cant express how much this tube has helped me, im scared to think what would have happened without it. Was put in the hospital a couple of times, getting rehydrated, but all is fine now! Today is Monday so i talk to the doctor and see if they are going to double up on my treatments due to the hospital stays, this is supposed to be my last week, but have missed 4 days due to being sick. At this point..."bring it on baby" im so tired of this going in everyday, i cant wait to start to heal...life after cancer, wow i cant wait!!! laugh Has a great ring to it, doesnt it? I hope everyone has a great day.

#47119 09-18-2006 03:28 PM
JAM Offline

Go- Linda-Go smile Amy

:
#47120 09-19-2006 05:30 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I HAVE GREAT NEWS.....found out my schedule!!! YIPEE laugh I have "only" Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (double up) Monday and Tuesday (double up)Thank goodness I can see an end to this...7 more treatments and its done!!! Had to go to the hospital today, i cant seem to stay hydrated eek I think it might be from all im doing right now, (we are building a new home) but hey it keeps my mind off this cancer, so whatever works...I can hear my bell ringing really soon!!!

#47121 09-24-2006 05:29 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Today is Sunday and i can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Monday and Tuesday, one treatment Monday and two on Tuesday...I just need a little more strength to see the end of this! I never thought this would be the fight of my life...Im a strong person, I so saw myself getting through this, with no big problems at all. I could handle this easily. Well, Im here to say, this kicked my butt! I cant eat, I cant drink, this damn slimey spit, the sore in my mouth is driving me nuts, the burn on the back of my neck (looks like a bullet hole) NO ENERGY at all, i feel like im 100 yrs. old instead of 46... my stomach tube is making me sore.(how long does that take to heal?) " Im sick of being sick " I want my life back and i want to feel good again, I want to go back to my boring ass job! I want to eat and drink, i want to swallow without gagging...Im beginning to think the Radiation was the easy part, and i just thought this was hard...haha, Im just skimmy the surface here, the healing of the body and soul and mind...this is going to be the real fight of my life, right? How long will this take? Is that the million dollar question? This is where, taking one day at a time...comes to life!!!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics