I've posted this idea once before, but it seems to have caught on big with the radiology doc and the radiation techs. They were quite impressed with the near-elimination of radiation burns/blistering on my tongue, under my tongue, and on the inside of my cheeks, especially on the lower areas because of the use of an OTC teeth-grinding guard. Got it at Long's drugs, put out by Doctor's. It's a do-it-yourself fitting, very simple, trimmable for all mouth sizes. Originally designed for the upper teeth, but works just as well on the lower, because that's where I was having all my problems. The bite stick ("Dove bar") was forcing my tongue outward and pressing against the gauze I was trying to use to buffer my fillings against cheek and tongue, to little effect. I think upper AND lower guards would be too much in the mouth if the bite stick was still needed, but I'm so pleased even with just the one guard, using gauze in the upper only. Think the unit cost me $25.99, found in the toothpaste section. I'm femals, so got a medium size, but they do come in other sizes too.

Another big help is the application of Biafine-RE cream (Rx only, they say, but I bought mine on the interenet with no Rx) right after radiation, before bed, but needs to be clean and washed off before radiation treatments. It's a deep dermal hydration compound to keep skin from getting cracked and infected. Doesn't smell too bad, either.

Also in the toothpaste section of drugstores are mouth sprays and gels that "up" the production of saliva, keeping mouths and throats more hydrated.

And if the pain gets too bad, ask your doctor for Barcus solution, a compound that has lots of numbing agents in it. Great to use maybe a half hour before trying to eat anything.

Sharon