We saw her oncologist this morning, and he was great. Said how wonderful and pleasing it was to see her still here after her esophageal cancer 3 yrs ago (treatment ended 3 yrs ago this friday!) when she went into hospice.

He spent a goodly amount of time with us, answering all the questions, then went in with us to do a practice set up in order to make sure she was comfortable for the radiation. She cannot lie down past a 20-30 degree angle, so they had to do a bunch of stuff with pillows and foam pads and such. Her mouth is very tight so they had a terrible time finding a lead shield small enough to protect her dental implant posts, but finally found one that will do the trick. Because of her nerves, we are going to give her a smidge of Ativan prior to each treatment, to help calm her down and help her to cooperate better. (when she gets upset she coughs, chokes, and shakes terribly).

Anyway... she will be getting between 17 and 22 treatments, he will adjust that as he sees how things go. Not bad, considering the 33 or 36 I think she got with the esophageal? He feels this will be MUCH easier this time round, though she will get a sunburn sore at the corner of her mouth (she will need to keep stretching it during the day so she can get her uppers in and out) as well as a smallish ulceration inside the corner of her mouth. The area they are going to radiate is maybe between the size of a quarter and a half dollar? A little larger than they NEED to because of her continual head shakes.

Any suggestions to help her most appreciated. They really were great with her today, so long as that continues I will be thrilled, and pleased that she is in such good hands (5 people helping to get her set up and comfortable, not including the doc!)

Hugs, Heidi (DIL to the bravest woman I know, oral cancer survivor 6 yrs, esophageal 3 yrs, and newly diagnosed with a new oral, also mom to the bravest 8 yr old KID I know, 30+ surgeries, cardiac caths, tube/TPN fed, and happy and filled with joy)