Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I had a modified bilateral neck dissection on Fri. Sept. 2nd and went home the next day. My husband who stayed with me was going stir crazy plus I really wanted to go home helped me decide that I was going to go home.

From the middle of my ears going down the edges of my face down to the top of the incision feels swollen and numb. Like when your mouth feels when you get a cavity filled and get novicane. I have been waiting for it to wear off but it hasn't.

Wednesday the 7th I had the 3 drains removed. I was not prepared for this and did not take any pain med before I went. I'm glad they are out now but just wish I was prepared a little better. Of course everyone has things done differently.

I am scheduled to have the staples removed this coming wednesday the 14th. And everyone has told me that removal of staples does not hurt.

Is this true? Also My shoulders are sore and some of my neck muscles. I am still numb from half my ears down around my face til the incision. I am putting neosporin on the incision area. Can anyone tell me will the numbness go away? and about how long. It hurts for me sometimes to move my head and hold it up.

I will find out about the pathology report on Wed. also. I am just trying to get some more information and I have talked to some people but like I said everyone has a different experience and some more insite may be helpful.
Thanks
Terry

Terry | 42 female| base of tongue w/swollen lymph nodes | Dx'd-Feb 05 | Stage IVA T2N2M0 | radiation/chemo 8 weeks finished 3rd week May/05 | bilateral neck dissection 9/2/05 45 nodes all neg.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Terry

I had my neck dissection in April and I am still numb. At first, I was numb on my neck, face, around my ear, shoulder, and chest. It got better week to week. I am still numb around the incision site and a little on my face.

My shoulder and neck muscles were VERY sore after surgery. I couldnt lift my arm at all for about 2 weeks. This is much better. My shoulder and neck are almost back to normal.

My staples did not hurt when they took them out.

Good luck on your pathology report. The hardest part is waiting. I will be thinking of you.

Melissa

Mucoepidermoid carcinoma-intermediate grade. Removed 3/05. Additional surgery to get clean margins and selective neck dissection 4/05. 30 lymph nodes removed. All clear!!
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Terry,

Having major surgery like a neck dissection is not like having a shot of novocaine, where you just wait for it to "wear off". A lot of nerves get severed in the process, and they take time to regenerate. I don't recall exactly how many months it took me to get back all of the sensation around my incision, but it definitely was a long time -- maybe as much as a year.

It is common (and to be expected) for you to have soreness in your muscles in that area, and difficulty with motion. Some people find that they need some degree of physical therapy to help get back to normal motion over time.

Please keep us posted on what you find out from your pathology report.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Terry,

You have had major surgery!! I was in the hospital for eight days. The neck disection was the easiest part of all the treatment involved. Very little pain and removing the staples was no big deal. I thought it would be worse than it was. just like thinking about going to the dentist. After your done you wonder why you fretted about it brfore hand.
I am hoping your pathlogy report comes out clean. Don't be surprised if it doesn't. Just another hurdle as you battle this diaease.
Many of us have had similer treatment and survived and I know you can to!!!

The numbness may last a long time depending on what nerves were severed during surgery. Please keep us posted after you receive the pathlogy report. Ask any question you can think of and someone with similer treatment should respond.

I wish you the best of luck as you continue your journey down one rocky road.

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Terry

I had a radical neck dissection back in May and echo whst everyone else says.

It will heal but you will feel numb, the knitting back can be painful but try the usual painkilling drugs, I even had oral morphine at one point. There is still numbness there and had that through my RT.

It slowly comes back and is not painful at all, but thsi week I start physio and already feeling positive about it recovering to some normality.

Steeplechase

SCC Left tonsil removed, T1N2/3 May 2005, left radical neck dissection and wisdom tooth removed, 32 lymph nodes removed, 1 infected. 33 Fractions of RT, 2 doses of Cisplatin and a NG tube for 4 weeks! Treatment ended Mid August 2005.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi All,

I had a Selective Neck 10/3/03. I am still numb along my jawbone. Drives me nuts at times.

Doctor told me the feeling will likely never come back.

Not a huge deal. A trade off I can live with.

Key word there is "LIVE".

Take it easy.

-rh

SCC 1.6cm Right Tonsil 10/3/03, 1 Node 3cm, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Wks Induction Chemo (Taxol,Cisplatin), 8 Weeks Chemo/Radiation (5FU,Hydroxyurea,Iressa), IMRT x 40, Treatment Complete 2/13/04.
41 Years Old At Diagnosis
OP Offline

Thanks for the encouragement!!!! I need all that I can get. It is sooooo hard at times. I am home by myself a lot and my mind and body take a toll on my emotions.

It is so hard not doing much. I have always tried to stay busy doing things with my family... going to kids sporting events and school things. And working. I miss seeing my customers. I have received many cards, calls and prayers of encouragement. But at times it is so hard. I am so emotional that it is driving me crazy!!!

This site has helped with information and I know there is hope but it is also scary. finding people who have been through what I am going through and reading the experiences has helped.

I know I need to get strong both physical and mental to get better.

This morning the bottom of my cheeks are getting numb!! I guess this is part of recovery and I hope it will go away. ANd it may not and so I will have to LIVE with it.

I will keep all of you updated.
Love
Terry

Terry | 42 female| base of tongue w/swollen lymph nodes | Dx'd-Feb 05 | Stage IVA T2N2M0 | radiation/chemo 8 weeks finished 3rd week May/05 | bilateral neck dissection 9/2/05 45 nodes all neg.
OP Offline

I got good news today and wanted to share it with all of you!! I went and got the staples out of my neck today! It was canceled Wednesday due to Ophelia on the coast.

My ENT was excited and told me that he had the results and was very glad to report that everything came out great!! No CANCER!!! not in any of the 45 nodes or my tongue!!!

He did say that there was one node on the left side that was disfigured and it came back with other stuff in it but no cancer. He told us the scientific name but it is gone so now I do not have to worry!!!

I am glad that I went through with the surgery (I'm not gl

Hello Terry,
Glad to hear your good news about your pathlogy report.
Do you have any follow up treatment besides the neck disection?

Best Wishes, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Terry, great to hear your good news :)As far as the numbness goes, my husband's neck is still numb after 4 1\2 mo., so you will probably have to live with that for awhile. He continues to use Aquaphor on the scar to keep it from itching and keep it soft. I guess it depends on your skin. Hope you will continue to share here. It sounds like you are doing great. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users