Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Gale, fwiw, my radiation oncologist told me that metal fillings might cause extra irritation of the gums/lining of the cheek near the filling but wouldn't really make any difference in the effectiveness of the radiation. I have 5 teeth with big metal fillings and I did get mucositis sores/lumps on my cheeks near them but nothing too awful (I also got sores in several spots with no fillings so who knows). I don't know about crowns because I don't have any.

As for DVDs, if you aren't already signed up, this would be a great time to sign up for a Netflix membership on the web. They give great recommendations for you once you put a few movies you want to see on their list and rate some movies you've seen. I usually am not that into comedy movies but during my treatment, that was all I wanted to see--nothing to heavy for me thankyouverymuch. If I had a week when I didn't want to see movies, no big deal, there's no time limit for how long you can keep the DVDs and as soon as you send one back, they send the next one on your list.

As for the PEG, getting one is no fun (Barry should be prepared for a few days after the surgery where every time you use your stomach muscle at all it hurts), but I do think it makes treatment much much easier. With the chemo, he may want to consider getting a port too. Especially if he has hard to find veins. I am very happy that I got the port and they combined the PEG and Port surgeries so that I got them both on one day.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Everyone:

Many thanks for all your good advice. I have had lots of good suggestions on getting things in order and dealing with the side-effects. I am sure I will have more questions later.

Today I go up to Johns Hopkins Hospital to [1] meet with a dietitian and [2] have my teeth/gums evaluated by a oral surgeon in preparation for treatment. Tomorrow I am back up at Hopkins to have blood work done and then have an orientation along with all new chemo patients on what to expect. After this meet with chemo nurse and doctor to answer my specifc chemo questions.

We are still hoping to get away for a few days before treatment start although this will depend on any dental work.

Thanks and I will be reporting back shortly.

Barry

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

How you doing Barry? I too went away for a few days and relaxed and recouped before I started. I am glad to see you are moving right along and not delaying for weeks and months.

Come check in and let us know how you are.
God bless you and give you comfort,
Barb~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi (Barry's wife reporting)-

The dental and nutritionist consults went well -- dental oncologist said Barry's teeth were sound and altough he has quite a few crowns, the roots and bone are good so he doesn't need any dental work. In fact he complimented Barry on his dental hygiene regime (which he is faithful about since a scare with peridontal disease 8-9 years ago.) They also took molds for the fluoride trays he will need to use from now on.

Nutritionist pretty much told him he would need to get a gastric tube (which he expected although not at all enthused) -- that will be done after we get back from our pre-treatment trip. He has gained about 12 pounds since his weigh-in on July 5 at Sloan and still has some time to bulk up more. All that cheesecake, cashew nuts and smoothies! Of course I am trying to be good as I do NOT want to add pounds, having just gotten down to my desired weight earlier this summer. <gr>.

They will do the radiation "walk-through" August 9 (checking the planning) and start the real thing the next day. The start of a long hard road but one that must be taken...

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
JAM Offline

Gail, while I really wish Barry the best luck with tx, I wish you good luck too, as I sit here eating a leftover KFC chicken breast and some blackeyed peas. Since John quit eating 3 wks into rad., I quit cooking and I have gained 5 lbs. on a trashy diet. It's really hard to motivate ones' self to cook and eat healthy alone. Also, speaking as the caregiver, I am thankful every day that John has a PEG. Without it, he would either be in the hospital or gone. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Gail
Using the peg is VERY important.At about the 2nd - 3rd week the effects of the rad will sneak up on him.I dont know about your husband but Jerry was given steroids to take the night before and the morning of chemo.They give him another dose right before they start the chemo.The first week he did real good until Mon, the 2nd week he did good until Sun and this last week has been the worst so far he has been in bed since Sat.He has 9 more rad tx and 3 more chemo tx.As of last week he had lost 20 pounds and finally started using the peg last Fri.I am sure he has lost more weight.I tried to prepare him for these days.He told me a couple of days ago he didnt know if he was going to make it thru the next 2 weeks.He thinks that once the rad is over with that he will bounce back to his old self in a week and thathe will be able to return to work in Sept or Oct.He still has surgery to go.It is a very hard and long road with MANY BUMPS!

Barry and Gail,
Everyone has given great advice and the only thing i can say is to agree with Nellie about setting up a web page at caringbridge.org to keep people updated. It's free and VERY easy to set up even for someone like me who is not very good with computers. The site has been good for me for journaling purposes and I don't have to keep repeating my story and updates to everyone. I also use the site to indicate things that I need such as movies, someone to cook food for me ( i even put specific food lists), prayers etc. Asking for help is not easy but you have to remember that everyone REALLY wants to do something to help and being able to put my needs out on the website was easier than calling folks and asking for their help. When I'm feeling down I put that out there also and it's amazing how people come out of the woodwork to support and encourage me through those times. My prayers are with you both.
Francine

Tongue cancer 1995/surgery+radiation/second primary Dec 2004/surgery/spread to lymph nodes/chemo/bilateral neck dissection - no cancer remaining - chmoe worked!!!

Hi all --

Back from Hopkins yet again (reminds of when I worked in Baltimore, you sort of start driving by instinct through all those little streets) -- A long day starting with blood draw, including a LOT for an HPV study going on there, then the "chemo class" they give to everyone starting chemotherapy, then long meeting with physician's assistant for info specific to Barry's treatment, then a long seesion making appointments to mesh everything with radiation times, then another blood draw to do PTT etc. for gastric tube insertion in about 12 days. Anyway, it now seems to be in place. Whew! We now have about 10 days to relax and we are going to try to get away!

Kind of tired now so going to sign off and kick back -- I can't afford to get sick. myself...

Thanks, Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Gail
So good that you have time for a break, enjoy the 'real' world for a while, and remember that we will be here for you, when the real world gets a bit messy....
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Barry, Gail,

the PEG is very important. When Barry can't eat any more, make sure he takes enough Boost or other product each day to keep his strength up. I found Boost and the Wal-mart brand to be the best and most reasonable as far as cost/calories/protien. I took 3 in the AM, 3 at noon and 3 in the evening for about 2100 calories a day. Several people local here in Raliegh were not getting enough calories during their treatment.

Steve

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics