Next Thread
Print Thread
#43040 03-22-2004 06:09 PM
annabel Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello,

My mom had her surgery on Feb. 23 2004. Neck dissection, partial tounge removal, left lower half of jaw bone removed and reconstructed with a bone from her leg. She has 6 weeks of radiation ahead of her. It will be a month tomorrow since surgery, they won't start radiation until her neck wounds heal. That could take some time and this sucker grew VERY fast once it was discovered. When can radiation start? I am worried that durring this healing time the cancer is getting it's second wind and will come back. Should a press the doctors to get moving on the radiation?
thank you.

#43041 03-22-2004 06:35 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Annabel, from the tone and number of your posts I can tell that you're very concerned about your mom, understandably so. Take a deep breath please.

Everyone is different in treatment and the healing process to a certain extent, and even one person having treatments can have different things happen different times. I've gone through two neck dissections and each one was different from the the way the scar healed to the lengh of time from surgery to radiation to side effects of the radiation.

How bad is the wound that your mom has that the doctors feel the need to wait 6 weeks? This does seem a long time, but if she's having trouble healing the wait could be justified. Radiation does a number on the tissues that get radiated kind of second degree burns after a time so it may not be a good idea to start too early if the wound hasn't healed properly. Get the docs to explain more the reason for the wait, other than generic waiting for the wound to heal.

In cases like this you have to be your mothers voice and her health care advocate, kind of checking and following up what the docs are doing.

Bob S.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#43042 03-22-2004 06:37 PM

ISP foulup.. would have been a duplicate post if I hadn't edited it.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#43043 03-22-2004 07:16 PM
annabel Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you, I didn't mean to post duplicates, I am still new at posting in forums and such. To be able to talk to some one else is overwhelmingly comforting. It is only my mom and I in this thing, there is no other family, many friends but that only goes so far. I will discuss with the doctor on the 29th of this month about the lag time between surgery and radiaion. I just don't want something to slip by, the cancer snuck up on her. One surprise is enough in this cancer dance.

#43044 03-22-2004 07:50 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

The delay is so the tissues can have time to heal before they get blasted by the radiation. 4 to 6 weeks is what I have heard is average. It sounds like your mother is receiving excellent care. You might take a look around the rest of the OCF web site there are extensive resources to read here.

Hang in there, you are doing fine! and yes this is a dance alright sometimes I wonder if it isn't the with the devil.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#43045 03-23-2004 02:57 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

My physicians didn't won't to wait any longer than 6 weeks to begin treatments. I began exactly 6 weeks after surgery.

Lynn

Stage 3, N0, M0 oral tongue cancer survivor, 85-90% of tongue removed, neck disection, left tonsil removed, chemo/radiation treatments, surgery 11/03, raditation ended 1/04, lung mets discovered 4/04,
#43046 03-23-2004 05:09 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Annabel,
My husband had his radical neck dissection on Christmas eve and began chemo/rad on January 12. They could not get all the cancer during surgery, so they were pretty quick to get the treatments started. He also healed pretty quickly from the dissection.
Hang in there...try and make sure you have a great support system in place...you will need it in order to help your mom through this!
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
#43047 03-24-2004 12:55 PM

I guess some doctors are more aggressive than others. First time they doc was a little peeved that I delayed for 3 weeks to make a trip back to U.S., second time they made the mask and did the sims the day after the staples were pulled, started RAD the following Monday.

Bob

#43048 03-26-2004 04:50 PM

Everybody is different. I had base of tongue cancer (very small sandpaper like could barely be felt during biopsy). But, it had spread to the lymph nodes in both right and left neck. So, I was sent to radiation first with a "chemo wash".

There was a lot of discussion and controversy among the Docs about what to do next. A city wide tumor review booard found that at least modified neck dissection was indicated for the right side due to the lymph node size. But a PET/CT scan found that the radiation had eradicated all cancer in the tongue, body, lymph nodes. Due to persistence of re occurance in Head/neck cancer the board still receommended a dissection and the Docs and I decided to do it bilaterally. When they biopsed the lymph nodes, no cancer was found.

The point of all this is that radiation using a linear accelator (Notre Dame-St. Joe) and a good Doctor can destroy certain cancers without surgery being required. The cutting edge now according to my four Docs is that radiation with PET/CT scan afterwards can determine if cancer is erradicated. When the industry gets more confidence in this, radiation only will be performed and surgery will not be required.

Sorry for this long post but thought that people should be aware of this developement. In summary, looks like radiation should be completed first and then use surgery (keeping in the "Golden operating window" of about 3-4 weeks after radiation completion) if the PET/CT scan still shows cancer.

#43049 03-26-2004 06:28 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

We shouldn't push our doctors on what to do next when one treatment is just finished. We are not medically professional but our doctors are. They should have a comprehensive plan on our treatment and know when and what we need.Unless you are in the hands of inconsiderate and irresponsible doctors, that is another story. Some people advised me on having surgery after radiation in order to eradicate any cancer cells left but my oncologist calmed me down and asked me to wait. It took me two months post radiation to have scanning that decided I didn't need surgery. To look back, that 2 months' waiting time was a real torture because I was also scared that if any cancer cells were hiding, they had a chance to fight back .Then would it be too late if I had surgery then? But I had strong faith in my oncologist that he would plan the best for me. So here I am.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23