Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#42508 04-08-2003 02:49 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Bob,
I just had the procedure you are talking about. I had envisioned it to be something like a stomach endoscopy. Not even close! I can put your mind at ease about this one: no pain OR discomfort at all. No gauze, tape, sprays or instruments of any kind, just a tiny tube housing an even smaller camera and light source. It was lubricated with gel and slid up my nose, past my vocal cords, and down my throat without me even feeling it. REALLY!
This coming from someone who panics and passes out when having blood drawn, you don't have to get stressed out over this one

Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma, Stage I, diagn. Sept. '02
DENTIST SAVED MY LIFE!
#42509 04-08-2003 07:54 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I have always HATED doctors and needles and this is NOT the disease to get if you don't like 'em! The nasal endoscope is not bad, both time they have done it they used a lidocaine spray which numbed everything up very well and I didn't feel a thing either time. They never used any thing but the nasolarygnascope (I think that's the actual name of it) so I don't know about nasal speaders or any of that stuff. It had a very tiny diameter. I found out a good trick for painless blood draw - tell them you want a pediatric needle - you won't even feel it.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#42510 04-08-2003 08:13 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

These guys have been there for you. I can only give you a female caregiver's experience.

My husband didn't want to have it done either, but after having it, he could relate to how it is to be a woman. If you don't mind, I will relate a story that happened to us.

Last year, I went into my OB-GYN to have my annual pap-smear. In the middle of the procedure (girls you can relate.....the speculum was juuuuuuuust going in!) my Nextel beeps. My hubby....."Honey, you there?" The doctor started laughing and wanted to know if I wanted her to stop the exam and search in my purse for the phone!!!!!!!

This is not to make fun of your procedure at all. Only to let you know that we women know how it feels to be violated, and we're here for support anytime you need us.

Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
#42511 04-13-2003 12:55 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Ok, Ok, will try and get this tube up the nose thing re-scheduled for this week or so. Find out what the deal was with the cotton strips and such.

Back to the Kong today to start radiation and Chemo. Ugh!!. At least I had a few days break, just lounged around the house and took some walks. Shoulder is REALLY sore, but I seem to be able to take care of that pain with some panadol. But, now that all the bandages are off, What a turkey wattle!!! Actually more like this crescent shaped bulldog chin on the side. Still swollen in that area, hope it goes down in a few weeks.

Since I know what I"m in for, not looking forward to this. More of a mental thing, really, won't get painful if at all for about 3 weeks or so, maybe longer, just the drudgery of hauling myself up there twice a day. But, we've all been through it and survived.

Used to relate going into Hong Kong as fun, nice day or weekend out of China. Now, both my wife and I relate it to going for treatments, medical issues, etc. and don't enjoy it at all anymore, now we dread the trip, kind of get depressed at the thought of going even.

But, the first go around we stayed at a hotel, this time I've managed to rent an apartment short term, so the living arrangements will be better. The area is more residential and not as crowded and I dont' have to walk through the open air fish market on the way to get a taxi. Now that's a twice a day experience I can do without, especially when I'm not feeing too good from the chemo treatments.

Thanks for listening, makes fe feel better to gripe about it right now.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#42512 04-13-2003 01:55 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Good luck Bob. Sorry that you are having to go through so much. Hong Kong sounds pretty good to me. I would love to go over there and check it out, ( except for the SARS ). Be careful guy, and get well.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#42513 04-13-2003 04:53 PM

Despite the outbreak of SARS in Hong Kong, I still have full confidence in the professionalism among the medical people here. Both the medical technology and facilities in Hong Kong are of a very high quality including treatment of cancers. I have no doubt that Bob can win his second battle with ease this time.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#42514 04-13-2003 10:42 PM
OP Offline

Karen I think both of us are getting great quality medical care in our battles.

I do have to sometimes laugh though about some of the things going on with the SARS scare. In Guangdong, where I live, no one is wearing surgical masks. However, someone on the same floor in my apartment building is still boiling vinegar. However, in Hong Kong, they're seling surgical masks 3 for 10HKD (bought 2 packs). But you see people walking down the streets with the masks pulled down puffing on a cigarette.

Just got back from the first treatment, which is longer because they like to check the alignment and programming. Fell asleep during the process... go figure.

Oncologist also showed me the computer modeling on the IMRT. If I could show folks it would put to rest the theory that it's not as effective as "conventional" radiation. High dosage, deep, from just under my ear to my collarbone. BUT, because of the IMRT equipment, will miss the one ramaining salivary gland I have left, and not irradiate my tongue, although possibly might get some of the throat.

I've promised my self that if after this I can go a year in remission I'll give myself a present of a set of Ping Eye 3 golf clubs and a membership to the local country club.

Tomorrow starts the Chemo, Cisplatin, I've had that before, main side affect for me was acidy stomach, and real hungry the night after the treatment.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#42515 04-14-2003 05:35 AM

Bob,
I hope that you get those Pings and play lots of golf. I used to be obsessed with golf and played before and after my treatment. Although I am feeling well these days, and can take a few cans of Boost Plus or some yogurt in the golf bag for a little nourishment, I just haven't been enjoying golf like I used to. Of course, since I am still skinny and not as strong as I used to be, I don't hit the ball as far as my friends anymore. That is not a real problem...but I just am not as into it as I used to be.

Again, good luck with the treatment.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#42516 04-14-2003 03:42 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Just checking in to add my best wishes for your present treatment, Bob. I hope it goes by quickly for you. Had to laugh, to read that there is someone else out there who can sleep through treatments. My IMRT sessions were 45 minutes long, and the technicians often had to wake me when it was over. And isn't that computer modeling really impressive? Add to that a physicist from Austria with a charming accent, and I thought I was in great hands. Now I do not mean to sound like your mother, but please wear your mask when around other people. Both the radiation and the chemo result in compromised immunity and after all you have been through, you definitely do not want to have to deal with SARS.
Joanna, the worrier

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users