Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42414 02-02-2003 03:43 PM
frances Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,
Well, tommorrow is my big day, I finally get to start my chemo and radiation. I'll be having carboplatin with 5Fu's and radio for 7 weeks to both sides of neck. The cancer has spread from my right tonsil to lymph nodes on both side of neck, as far down as clavicle.
I have done my best with a veggie, organic diet and supplements (via a nutritionist) but am wondering which complimentary remedies have been tried and tested as being safe to use during treatment (largely to support liver/digestion and immune system in general, also the mouth problems). I realise there are a lot of contradictory views but the Cancer Centre do not advocate the use of any alternatives to drugs and more drugs, surely there are some good old-fashioned remedies that work well alongside the drugs? Does anyone have any info to offer?
Many thanks and good luck to you all,
Frances.

#42415 02-03-2003 04:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Frances,

Before I started chemo I had to give the doctors a list of all the vitamins and drugs I am on. They took me off of gingo and black cohosh, as unproven and untried.

I do take a muti, E, C, B complex, Milk Thistle and Calcium. They had no problem with these. So I guess it's best to do a list for your doctors and get their input. I'd hate to go through everything we go through and mess it up by taking something that won't interact well with the chemo.
I am on a Carbo/Taxol combo.

Good luck and take care.
Dinah

#42416 02-04-2003 03:51 PM

Frances-
I've survived breast cancer twice (with node involvement) and oral cancer in situ once. Now I have oral cancer again, a sequelae I believe to mouth sores during chemo for my first breast cancer. I developed oral dysplasia.

I believe strongly in supplements and alternatives and suggest you investigate taking mega doses of Vitamin C if your doctors approve. I never asked my docs, I just did it. It's too bad we can't get good studies on supplements.

#42417 02-04-2003 03:51 PM

Frances-
I've survived breast cancer twice (with node involvement) and oral cancer in situ once. Now I have oral cancer again, a sequelae I believe to mouth sores during chemo for my first breast cancer. I developed oral dysplasia.

I believe strongly in supplements and alternatives and suggest you investigate taking mega doses of Vitamin C if your doctors approve. I never asked my docs, I just did it. It's too bad we can't get good studies on supplements.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23