Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42054 12-17-2007 07:07 PM
Tom J Offline OP
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Ok, here's the deal (my best Ross Perot). PET/CT found small uptake spot on rt lung. Needle biopsy confirms malignant and of same type as original cancer of five years ago (SCC), but cannot confirm it as new primary (1A), or as a late-occuring metastatic growth from the original BOT tumor. Tumor has characteristics of both.

One very good oncologist wants me to repeat the Head and Neck chemo regime - assuming the worst (metastatic disease) and hitting it hard ASAP. Though his Tx plan would be to do it all in two, inpatient sessions, three weeks apart. Taxotere, Carboplatin and 5FU (?), and possibly Erbitux. Then, perhaps do a lobectomy to remove the tumor.

Another, very good oncologist, wants me to have the surgery now. Check the lymph nodes along the media stynum, if clear, go in and lobectomy the site. If nodes are bad, insert a port and send me home. Start essentially the same chemo, but scatter it out over 6 three week cycles as an outpatient. The pathology reports on the lymph and or tumor could/would modify the plan, and give us good data about whether or not Erbitux would work (the tissue can be tested for that expression).

The first plan doesn't make sense to me and seems fatalistic. The second plan makes sense and seems proportional and more flexible. Yes, I know I have to choose, and yes I know about more opinions (getting another on Wed), but what would YOU do???? Opinions large and small please. I value your input, and promise not to come back and haunt you if your idea doesn't work!! Ha. Tom J

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Choice number two hands down. More invasive? Yes. But immediate resection of the primary (Get that cell generating puppy otta there) and important definitive information about local spread that is the most dangerous component, the mediastial nodes, is immediately at your disposal. You well know lymphatic involvement means a highway to other locations, and vital organs. The sooner you know that is a possibility, the sooner you can derail it, or prophylactially prevent it with chemo. In either case chemo cocktail remains the constant.

Variation three, there is no down side (if the nodes are involved) to doing that lobectomy anyway while he is there. Why put you back together and leave it behind as something else the chemo has to deal with and is still spinning off daughter cells?

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Agreed - # 2 For all of the reasons Brian mentioned.

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

I would certainly go with #2 in a heartbeat. Brian expressed it beautifully. Best of luck!

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!

Remember what your teachers used to say. If you are unsure of an answer, go with your 1st choice. Since you feel that option #2 is best - go with it. Also consider the advice of friends who have been through this. Brian's reply is on the button. A 3rd opinion?? Why not check with a doctor who you consider a friend.

Best wishes, Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

If it were me, I'd vote for Brian's #3. I'd want that puppy out of there. My husband had half a lung removed 40 years ago (not cancer) and has no had ill effects. The surgery and the recovery were awful, but I'm certain methods have improved since.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Yes, get the tumor out of there as soon as possible and find out what else is going on in there with the surgery THEN hit your system hard with the chemo. That would be my choice also.

And Tom, I am SO sorry you are being hit with this again. It sucks.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Seems we're all in agreement - order a No. 2 with chemo on the side.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Tom J Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Gang! I concur. I'm going with the surgery first. Its scheduled for 7:30am Monday, the 24th. Heck of time to go into the hospital. If the lymph nodes are involved the procedure will stop. Taking the tumor does a fair amount of damage and prolongs my recovery time. If the thing has already spread, one tumor, more or less, will not be my only problem. Faster recovery from less surgery gets me into chemo sooner and maybe even back under the ray gun. I got another PET/CT today and the original site is still the only thing glowing - all good.

Have a wonderful Christmas. Travel safe, be happy and do good work. Be strong, Tom J

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.

Tom,

Good luck on Monday my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you all the time.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users