Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#41641 08-23-2007 07:41 AM

Hi

Just wanted to say that when I went throuh my treatment I did not have any major issues with the mask. However it did bother me at times and the suggestions already mentioned worked well for me.

The main reason for my post here though is to tell you about an alternative that may help your husband. It is called "Emotional Freedom Technique" or EFT for short. It can be used to help people with anxieties, phobias, chronic pain and many other problems. I have personaly had some success using it for pain relief. You can download instructions on how to do EFT for free from their website. I have watched some to the DVDs they mention and was very impressed where they showed treating Viet Nam vets with PTSD and had excellent results. The website is www.emofree.com

Good Luck
Steve

Dx 7/21/05, Stage IV SCC L.Tonsil T3N2bM0, Tx 2-Cyc Cysplatin+5FU then 3-Cyc Cysplatin concurrent w/38 IMRT, Tx complete 12/9/05. Told cancer free 3/21/06
#41642 08-23-2007 02:35 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi All: Thanks again for all your input! We sincerely appreciate EVERY POST.

Buzz and I spent the day at Baptist Hospital with one of the surgeons who performed his neck dissection. He thinks Buzz is doing great, except for a couple of areas of concern.

The incision site on his hip, although completely healed, appears to have 'fluid', and is a little feverish. Keflex was prescribed for that.

As you know, Buzz is scheduled for PEG tub insertion on Monday. That could be a problem. I had forgotten that Dr. Sullivan found that Buzz has Zenkers Diverticulum, while trying unsuccessfully to replace the NG tube that dislodged following surgery. Buzz had to be taken to radiology for re-placement.

When Dr. Sullivan learned about the PEG tube placement, he was extremely concerned, and insisted that Buzz NOT be intubated, and his jaw not be manipulated in any way.

As it stands, Dr. Sullivan will talk via telephone tomorrow with the General Surgeon, and together they will decide if the use of a bronchoscopy will suffice with no complications.

Dr. Sullivan states that Buzz' flap looks 'beautiful', and I can understand why he would not want to do anything to compromise Buzz' recuperation.

Dr. S also mentioned the possibility of a "mini lap G Tube", instead of the PEG. I was too overwhelmed at that point to even ask intelligent questions, so I'll leave it for the two surgeons to decide tomorrow.

Is there anyone here who has Zenkers?
Is there anyone here who has the mini lap G Tube?

Tomorrow we spend the day at VAMC rehab...joy...I'm EXHAUSTED and I'm sure Buzz is!

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260