Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41570 07-31-2007 12:56 PM
MikeT Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Everyone:

I am in my 3rd week of chemo/radiation after they removed approx 1/3 of my tongue and reconstructed it from arm tissue. My surgeon was unable to gain clear margins, and I was told that there was still a "microscopic" amount of cancer persent.

I am currently getting 5 days pwe week, and get a large dose of Cisplatin every 3rd week.

I discussed a drug called Erbitux with my doctor who said that it was not a proven remedy.

My question (and I would certainly appreciate any and all input) is simply this: what other treatment options do I have after 6 weeks of radiation and 3 doses of Cisplatin? I am interested in the most aggressive treatment as I just turned 40 and, other than oral cancer, am in good health, and ought to be able to "handle" more treatment.

Thank you in advance for your advice/sharing.

Mike
Cincinnati, Ohio

Stage III Cancer of Left Tongue Diagnosed 5/22/07; resection/reconstructive surgery 6/13/07 with removal of left, cervical lymph nodes (1 positive; Chemo/Radiation to commence shortly.
#41571 07-31-2007 03:14 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Your docs have chosen an aggressive and proven treatment plan for you. Many of the bigger institutions are adding Erbitux to the mix that you are getting. Monoclonal antibodies like Erbitux, while not designed to kill the cancer, do prevent the cells from replicating. This allows the other treatments like chemo and rad to do their work in a very efective manner. It is an FDA approved drug for head and neck cancer, but it is not used as a monotherapy (by itself). I wish you a fast an uneventful trip through treatments. Things will seem pretty easy till about week three.... that's where everyone starts hitting the wall. But in your case you will be halfway there at that point in time, and you can start counting down instead of up as you track your remaining days in treatment.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#41572 08-01-2007 01:32 AM
MikeT Offline OP
OP Offline

Brian:

Thank you for your site and reply. I am in week three and my throat and tongue are feeling the effects of radiation: my tongue burns and my throat feels like it is shrinking and I am having difficulty swallowing.

As far as Erbitux, I was aware that it was approved by the FDA for Head and Neck cancer. From looking at other people's profiles on this site it appears that some are indeed receving it with their chemo/rad. When I asked my oncologist about it, he said there were no studies wherein Erbitux was used after surgery, and therefore it was not an option for me.

I am not certain if that means (a) he won't perscribe it, or, (b) there is some legal/ethical impediment. I suspect that it's the former, which leads to my next question: How do I go about getting it added? I am being treated at the Barret Cancer Center at the University of Cincinnati (which I thought was a major CCC).

I would appreciate any advice on this issue as I would like to avail myself of all options.

Thanks again.

Mike
Cincinnati, Ohio

Stage III Cancer of Left Tongue Diagnosed 5/22/07; resection/reconstructive surgery 6/13/07 with removal of left, cervical lymph nodes (1 positive; Chemo/Radiation to commence shortly.
#41573 08-04-2007 07:13 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Mike -- I had a lengthy discussion with my medical oncologist about Erbitux vs. Cisplatin, as well as a long discussion with the chief oncological pharmacist, who happens to be a family friend.

Both can be effective treatments, and their usage depends upon institutional choice and personal preference. Erbitux does not have the track record yet to indicate whether or not it is superior to a Cisplatin/Radiation treatment protocol. Some studies suggest that it may be more effective for recurrence. My cancer center prefers to use Cisplatin for treatment during the primary regimen, reserving Erbitux for recurrence, where possible.

Other things can dictate one over the other. Some patients react badly to Cisplatin, but not Erbitux. Erbitux has less of an effect on the white blood cell count, but has other side effects, such as the rash, which some find more or less objectionable.

The studies on Erbitux at this point are promising, but by no means dispositive, which can cause many places to shy away from it in primary treatment, particularly when Cisplatin/IMRT studies are increasingly positive as studies begin to include more current patient populations.

One is no more aggressive than the other, in the true sense of the term.

I am 3 weeks out from having aggressive IMRT/Cisplatin treatment, and am clinically free of disease at this point. Good luck with the rest of your treatment protocol.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
#41574 08-04-2007 10:02 AM

Hi Mike

I had Erbitux with my IMRT treatments AFTER surgery. I hope this information helps!

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking
#41575 08-09-2007 06:31 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I had Cisplatin and IMRT x35 last year. I just had a neck dissection last week for mets to a jugular lymph node. They weren't able to get clear margins because the cancer had invaded down to my carotid artery, so now I'm facing more radiation (localized to the area of concern in my lower neck). I haven't started yet (have to give the surgery a couple more weeks to heal) but I'm told I will be starting on Erbitux as well. My MO and RO say it's being used more for recurrence events and they believe it's promising. My RO specifically said he's seen a lot of good reports especcially over the last 12 months which indicate Erbitux an effective tool in combination with other therapies (chemo/rad).

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.
#41576 08-13-2007 11:57 AM

We were told that Erbitux would probably be one option if Barry's cancer were to recur -- and his cancerous tonsil had been resected (that is, removed surgically). That's at Johns Hopkins, have to assume they know what they're doing! (Eribitux was not approved yet when my husband was diagnosed). They are now adding Erbitux to the primary platinoid/radiation treatment in a number of patients, some of these are post-surgery as well. It depends on the case...

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#41577 08-13-2007 02:49 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Platinum based chemo and monoclonal antibodies cannot be compared to each other. One can be used as a mono therapy, the other not, one has cancer killing properties, and the other prevents cell replication but does not kill the cancer cells. They are definitely complimentary therapies, and when used together optimize the outcome. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/treatment/targeted_therapies.htm Just as some chemo makes the cancer cell more susceptible to radiation, targeted therapies hold growth and replication rates down so that other chemo and radiation therapies can do their jobs. The most successful treatments are often "cocktails" of a combination of elements to produce the optimum end result.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics