Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JT2 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Good evening Forum;

Has anyone had any experience with the Therabite system ? From the research I have done to date, it appears to be an affordable solution to those who suffer from trismus (reduced jaw movement), and I was hoping to get some user feedback.

Thanks in advance for any input or comments.

JT2

Age 55 at Dx,smoker 30 yrs ago, drinker 8 yrs ago; Stage 4 Squamous cell carcenoma T4a N3; 35 radiation tx, 3 chemo w/ Cisplatin, radical neck dissection,40 hyperbaric dives pre-surgery. Clinical remission since May 2006; Update: declared cancer free July 16, 2010! Miracles can happen...
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi JT,

If you go up to the "Search" button at the top of this page right under the words "post reply" and then type in the word "therabite" you will get 54 matches. Select all open forums in the drop down list before doing the search.

You will find that this topic has been discussed many times and I'm sure you will find a great deal of information there.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I used the therabite religiously, and I have benefitted from it. I still do my jaw-opening exercises now, without the device, but I had to use it at first and shudder to think that without it I wouldn't be able to open my mouth now enough to insert a spoon!

Cheap it is not. It costs about $450 over the internet, and about $650 to your insurance company. Mine was prescribed by my dr., so it was covered by the insurance. You can order new bite pads for it, and they are cheap, but the device is not.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Hi JT

I have used the therabite machine My doctor gave it to me free. It works slow for me but it does work. So use it religously. goodluck They have cards to measure how far your mouth is opening.

katrina

SCC T3N1 right side tongue DX7/24/06 44 yrs old
Tx 42 IMRT started 9/01/06 Cysplatin & 5fu 2x treatment ended 10/31/06. Partial neck discection 3/07 on right side.
Had tracheostomy 4/08. Had total Laryngectomy 6/09
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Besides Jerry's comments about searching the forums, please also use the search engine in the main site. We have a bunch of good information on the Therabite device.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi JT, I continue to use my Therabite device...I paid several hundred for it, insurance would not cover it at the time (5 years ago). Good Luck with it....Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
JT2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will do the search as suggested, but so far, everything I have heard is positive. Almost don't want to know anything more for fear of negativity setting in ! But I'll check it out for sure. Thanks again....

JT

Age 55 at Dx,smoker 30 yrs ago, drinker 8 yrs ago; Stage 4 Squamous cell carcenoma T4a N3; 35 radiation tx, 3 chemo w/ Cisplatin, radical neck dissection,40 hyperbaric dives pre-surgery. Clinical remission since May 2006; Update: declared cancer free July 16, 2010! Miracles can happen...

I have advertised a used Therabite Jaw Rehabilitation System on ebay and although there are a couple of watchers, no-one has actually bid yet so its possible that someone will pick up a bargain. I'd like to get the best price for my Dad, but equally I'd like to see it go to a good home as it was very effective for my Mum:
http://my.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=MyeBay&ssPageName=%27SIM%3ACONT%27

Hi all,
The Therabite gizmo is a very useful tool.
Many insurance companies, in Canada, do not cover it. I have found a way to get it covered with my patients most of the time. After talking to insurance companies I have come up with the following process. I write a prescription for the Therabite. I send a copy of the prescription to the patient's insurance company along with an insurance form and an invoice. If it gets covered great if not, I get a supporting document from one of the patient's doctors and send the information to their medical insurance. Usually this is as far as we have to go. If it is not covered at this point it likely won't be no matter how much we beg. In Canada, out of pocket medical expenses are tax deductible. So if a person pays for the therabite themself they can include the receipt with their income tax return and use it as a deduction.
I'm not familiar with the U.S. system but, it would be worth looking into.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

I have relisted this item, having received no bids after 9 days. I'll give it one more try. There is no reserve price on this item and we genuinely paid almost $400 for it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130204554511&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users