Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4128 10-20-2004 06:23 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Carol my email address is [email protected] please send me the info on the dynasplint....Thanks to all of you for being there for me and holding my hand, talking me thru some hard times. You do not know what you have done to help,, but I do believe there are ANGELS amoung us...I have met some right here, on this site. They walk, talk, sing and yes type, to us...Thank the LORD....Always Vicki Lynn

#4129 10-20-2004 11:18 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Miss Vicki,
Happy days are here. God bless you !
Mary Lee

#4130 10-20-2004 11:30 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hey Vicki,

Congrats on having the trach removed! I had mine for 8 1/2 months and one of the happiest days was the day the doc pulled out both the trach and the feeding tube! I felt very liberated and a little more "normal." I guess I was one of the fortunate ones in that my hole closed up in about 10 days with no visible scar (compared to the rest of my neck). I covered the hole with gauze and used cloth tape to hold it in place. I, too, applied pressure to that area to talk or cough while it healed. I'm so glad to hear that you've taken such a giant step forward - I know your journey has been long and hard.

Lots of hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03
#4131 10-21-2004 03:27 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Nancy, I have a question, did you have a awful taste coming up from the trache. Well where it was. I have this taste that I cannot get out of my mouth. It is so so nasty. I still have to use the suction machine for I still cannot swallow all of my salvia. But I hope to get there soon with this. Did you have ANY trouble breathing after it was taken out. I mean when you were talking, or doing things. I find that I have to stop a take a breath before I can finish a setence. Is this normal? I sure hope so...always, Vicki

#4132 10-23-2004 12:26 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Vicki,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to you sooner. I don't recall having any unpleasant taste in my mouth once the trach was removed but anything is possible. After almost a year since end of treatment I've finally gotten rid of that awful metallic taste in my mouth. I really didn't have any problems with breathing - at least nothing drastic that I can remember. I remember being real careful in plugging the hole through the bandage when I talked and/or coughed until it had healed completely. If I recall correctly, you've had your trach much, much longer than I did and I thought I remember that you once posted that it didn't "fit" right. My thinking (remember just my thinking) is that having to stop and take a breath to finish a sentence is normal. I did find that I was so nervous about talking that when I did, I tended to rush rather than taking it slow and taking a moment to breathe between sentences/phrases. Give yourself time, Vicki, you're doing great! Unfortunately time and patience have become the two words I hate most but find them in my every thoughts now when I try to measure my progress.

Keep it up, you're on your way!

Hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03
#4133 10-23-2004 05:00 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Nancy, Thank you so much for answering me. I have had my trache for 8 months to the day. I am having a hard time breathing tho. I mean I can breath however it is like someone is sitting on me. Not all the time tho. I am very concerned by this. I had it capped for a while tho you are right when you said that it didn't fit. The hole was to to big for the size 4 trache that I had. That is a very small trache too. I am thinking that even tho I had it capped off, the air that was leaking out the sides from the hole, is why I am having this difficulty in breathing now. For it was never really closed off. See what I am saying. My throat is so so dry, remember that I don't take anything by mouth. We started but the we stopped for one week per my DOCTOR. I started using the TOOTHETTES to get some water in the throat area. I also have a lot and I mean a lot of flem, mucous whatever you call it. Since I have no tongue I cannot get it all the way out. I use the suction machine for this. Lord I prayed so long and so hard to get this thing out, now I feel like such a let down to myself. I didn't think of all this. Go figure. Did you have anything like this at the beginning of this. I have sent you a private email as well. If anyone can help answer some of my questions please jump in. If this is normal then at least I will know and I won't be afraid. Thank you so much Miss Vicki

#4134 10-24-2004 12:57 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Miss Vicki
I had my trachy out 8 weeks ago, I only had it for a week, but it took 6 weeks for the site to heal, every time you cough, or talk and forget to seal the site delays the healing, I have a terrible cough from scarring to my trachea, so for the first three weeks I was blowing the dressings off, but it did heal eventually..
Keep us informed of your progress, it's been a long long road for you, prayers..
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
#4135 10-24-2004 11:33 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Vicki,

Hope you don't mind me answering you here (you also sent me a private message regarding this) - I wouldn't want the board to think that I shun people! Anyway, we had our trachs for the same amount of time (8 1/2 months for me). I'm pretty sure my trach was a size 6 (at least that was the size of the "plug") and actually fit very comfortably (as comfortable as trachs can be). So I was fortunate there wherein you had what seems to be a poorly fitted trach. I can relate to the problem of having no tongue and trying to get the mucus up, however, I don't recall having as much mucus as you have. Remember, we're all different so I am probably not your usual case. What does collect in my mouth I end up using a lot of tissues to wipe it out (and I mean A LOT of tissues). I wish I had answers for you but it doesn't appear that I'm any help. I don't know if this makes a difference or not but during the 8 1/2 months that I had my trach, I had it capped for the last 6 1/2 months before it was removed. Funny but when it wasn't capped, it was then that I felt like I couldn't breathe - go figure! You had mentioned in your note to me that your husband was going to call the doctor tomorrow and see if what you're going thru is "normal." I think that's a smart move on your part but try to relax and breathe slow and easy. I wish I could offer you more than this.

Lots of hugs, Nancy

#4136 10-24-2004 11:43 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Vicki,

Oh how I wish I had answers for you but I'm afraid I'm not much help. I was fortunate that my trach (which I had for 8 1/2 months) fit well and actually was very comfortable (as comfortable as trachs can be). I too had mucus problems (still do) but none as severe as yours. Although I too have no tongue, I can relate to the problems of trying to "bring it up" but in my case I'm able to wipe out my mouth of the mucus using a lot of tissues. The last 6 1/2 months of having my trach I had it capped 24/7. It was when I didn't have it capped that I felt like I couldn't breathe - go figure! So maybe you're right in having problems now because maybe air was still seeping in around your trach hole even though you had it capped. Unfortunately I just don't know but you mentioned in your post to me that your husband was going to call the doc tomorrow to see if all of this is "normal." I think that's a very smart move and hopefully he'll have better answers for you than I can obviously offer and put your mind at rest.

Hang in there, Vicki - you know we're all pulling for you!

Hugs, Nancy

#4137 10-24-2004 11:31 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hey guys,

Oops! My computer was acting flaky last night and since it didn't look like my first reply went through I tried to send again. So that's why I have 2 posts one right after another! Wanted you guys to know just in case you thought I might be "losing it!" (lol!)

Nancy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics