Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40871 03-29-2007 02:39 AM
JeffL Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

In reading the posts here, I notice that some people have had the radical neck dissection, followed by the Rad/Chemo course, while others have had the Rad/Chemo first, then the dissection.

What factors were communicated to you relating to the reason for the order of treatment? I have my first appointment at the Cancer Center on Tuesday, and want to know what questions to ask.

Thanks.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Jeff,

From what I can tell, if radiation/chemo is recommended first, the doctors usually want to try and shrink the tumor(s) before operating to reduce the amount of tissue that will need to be removed in surgery.

In my case the tumor on my tongue was relatively small 3cm by 3.5cm, so they did surgery first on both the tongue and neck, then I did radiation.

Jim

T3N2aM0 SCC right oral tongue. Partial Glosectomy, Modified Neck disection for 1 Lymph Node. Dec. 2002. 35 IMRT 2003.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Jeff,

In my case they first needed to find the primary location. Once located (got lucky) they treated with chem/rad first followed by a modified neck. If primary was not located, they were going to do a radical disection first followed by the chem/rad.

Rob J

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Jeff,

My husband's case is basically the same as Rob above. It was always part of the course of treatment outlined to us. The neck dissection was the easiest part of the whole treatment and after chemo and radiation there was still one bad guy lymph node that had dead cells surrounding it but live cancer cells inside.

MARTY-Caregiver to husband (non-smoker/non-drinker)Dx 04/06 SCC Stage IV left tonsil-3 lymph nodes,HPV+,Tx 35xIMRT,35xcisplatin/tarceva,neck dissection 11/06, beginning HPV vaccine JHopkins 04/07.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Jeff,

In my case I had rad and chemo first. My ENT had hoped for nodes on right side of neck to shrink to minimal size but that did not happen. She then did the neck dissection and all right side nodes were removed and tested. . .thankfully came back negative.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.

my dr. has recommended a neck dissection but i was so shocked about what he explained that i forgot to ask him several things. does it leave the surgery site radically thinner or smaller than the other side? Also does every body have diminished used of that side? what are the side effects and the pain factor?

diagnosed 12/20/2006 with undifferentiated large cell salivary gland cancer

My husband's incision went from below his ear, down his neck and around to the front of his neck. I know that sounds hidious but after 4 months, you can't see the scar. It has healed beautifully. There is a slight indentation but it is not noticeable. His neck feels tight in that area and he has had some loss of use with his shoulder due to the muscle being cut there but with physical therapy and just using his arm and shoulder, all is good. That would be the only side effects. As far as pain, he had none. He went in for the surgery and came home the next day - they initially said he would come home with a drain for a couple of days, but he did so well, he went home with nothing. He had the surgery on Thursday and spent the weekend resting and taking it easy and was fine on Monday. Had the staples out a week or so later.

MARTY-Caregiver to husband (non-smoker/non-drinker)Dx 04/06 SCC Stage IV left tonsil-3 lymph nodes,HPV+,Tx 35xIMRT,35xcisplatin/tarceva,neck dissection 11/06, beginning HPV vaccine JHopkins 04/07.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jeff,

I was told by my docs at Moffitt that they didn't do surgery in my case unless it was necessary after concurrent chemo/rad. I had been to 2 previuos docs, the first an ENT that said a Radical must be done first followed by chemo/rad, the second a MO that said a partial must be done followed by chemo/rad. Point is get multiple opinions and listen to there reasons.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Jeff

I had my neck dissection due to the depth of invasion with the tumor on my tongue ..my nodes were all clear so we decided to forog the radiation ,...not before talking to my surgeon, Rad Onc, and the team at Dana farber in Boston. That is just how it was layed out to me ..had to do the neck to see if anything in there was affected.

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I just finished my rad and chemo and expect to have the neck dissection in a few weeks. I had two nodes removed 1 that found the cancer because the fine needle aspiration did not show it. My neck swelled tremendously after the surgery so I was worried that it was bleeding. Went to the emergency room and my ENT thought that I might be as well. I had emergency surgery and turned him down on the Neck dissection then because I had only been diagnosed for 3 days. I had no idea what was going on yet. Anyway I wasn't bleeding so he removed another enlarged node that was also cancerous. I then found a cancer treatment senter and a team of docs. They decided to do the rad and chemo first because after they did a tonsillectomy and took biopsies of my tongue ect. They were trying to find a primary so the rad could be more pinpointed. The found it in the left tonsil. As soon as I healed enough we started the treatment. My understanding was due to the removal of the first and second node concerned them as far as the amount of metastisies as well as spillage. It had also been 3 months since I found the first node swollen. To do the dissection first would have put the rad and chemo even later. They wanted to start killing the cancer and do the dissection to get what was left or atleast remove the places that it would be most likely to return. I asked for very aggressive treatment. I have a 30 month old and a wonderful wife that I want to spend lots of time with. Now this is my understanding of the course of treatment and I may be way off, I haven't specifically addressed this with my docs but intend to at the next meeting with my surgeon next week. Good luck.

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users