Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40128 07-08-2006 06:43 AM
scottp Offline OP
OP Offline

I've done a search on Cisplatin and I see the possible side effects. I also know that it is the drug being recommended for my dad's treatment. According to one of the oncologists he spoke to this past week, it is considered "the gold standard" regarding treatment in conjunction with radiation. If I'm not mistaken, the cisplatin will only be given the first 24 hours of his 5 consecutive days of chemo/radiation, I'm not sure what the other chemo drug will be. I know several folks have taken the cisplatin. Can you give me some idea on what you went through if you've had this drug?

Scott

#40129 07-08-2006 08:45 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Scott,

I am having 3 doses of cisplatin, 21 days apart. So, I had it on my first day with radation, ad will have it on the 21st and 42nd day. I have only had one so far (#2 will be on Wed. the 12th). My doctors opted to use cisplatin instead of carboplatin because they said there is more research that has been done on cisplatin. It appears that carboplatin is also successful, but they just don't have quite as much data on it presently.

I reacted pretty poorly to the cisplatin, but was told that I might because I am young (32), and I had morning sickness and I get motion sickness-simply put, I don't have a great stomach for things to begin with.

To that end, I was pretty queasy even with the drugs they gave me (Anzamet, Decadron, and Compazine. Although I was sick to my stomach, I really only got sick 3 times. The worst part of it for me was actually the Compazine because it knocked me FLAT OUT (I don't tolarate drugs well either). So, next time they are using the Anzamet, Decadron and Emend. Hopefully that will be a better combination for me.

Because the Cisplatin can cause kidney problems, they will hydrate him by IV for 2 hours before the Cisplatin. Then they will give him the cisplatin for 1-2 hours and then they will hydrate him again for 2 hours with the saline.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
Sarah

DX on 05/01/06 with SCC of right tongue. 05/11/06 surgery-tumor 1.2cm & 4 cm clear margins & parital glos. & neck dissection with removal of 34 nodes/1 positive at 4mm)T1N1MO
35 IGRT & 3 cycles of chemo (1 cisplatin & 2 carbo-complete on 8/9/06.
#40130 07-08-2006 12:48 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

My experience was the same as Sarah with the Cisplatin except I only could tolerate 2 treatments (I was to have 3). The standard protocol is, as she said, is every 21 days. I was 55 at the time and motion sickness has never been a problem. I obviously can't speak to the morning sickness issue ;-)

There have been a few others here on a somewhat strange protocol with the Cisplatin, probably because of other medical issues.

The manufacturer also recommends to STAY HYDRATED because this stuff is SUPPOSED to pass through the system. You should be taking in 2-3 liters of water every day (water in food counts).

According to the anti-emetics manufacturer, Zofran is effective about 60% of the time. I don't know about Anzamet but it's probably the same. For many, the antiemetics work exceptionally well. These are both SSRI type drugs that are supposed to "switch off" the nausea center in the brain.

Report anything out of the ordinary to your oncologist immediately. Particularly anything involving hearing or ringing in the ears.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#40131 07-08-2006 04:06 PM
scottp Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Sarah & Gary,

Thanks for the info, I know it really helps my Dad when he sees that others are fighting through it. I'm sure it seems that he is all alone in this, but this forum has been such a source of encouragement to us. My Dad was really sitting the fence on his treatment. Tonight he decided he was going to proceed with what the doctors recommended. I know its been a tough decision, but I'm really proud of him and I know if anyone can do this it's him.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics