Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40053 05-28-2006 02:40 AM
smitty Offline OP
OP Offline

Did any of you go through the entire treatment process lasting at least 8 weeks of both chemo and rad that you did not have to stay in the hospital? Also did anyone go through this while living alone?

#40054 05-28-2006 03:36 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I think most people do not stay in the hospital for the treatment per se (that is, it is given on an out-patient basis) but some folks on this forum have ended up being hospitalized for a few days for various reasons, either because of an infection or because they got very debilitated and needed hydration, nutrition or just closer oversight. My husband got a bacteremia (blood infection) in his last three days of treatment and the hospital admitted him as they wanted to give him IV antibiotics, though he was not terribly ill in the sense of being weak or unable to function. However the risk of it getting worse was enough to send him into hospital.

As for getting through this while living alone, I would say that would be very very difficult, especially since you are getting a weeks' more radiation than many others (most people seem to get 33-35 treatments). You will get very tired and if you are put onto serious pain medications, which almost everyone is, then you may not be able to drive -- or should not drive, for safety's sake. If you do not have a relative or friend to help, you may wish to ask your hospital about availability of help. Also, the American Cancer Society can help provide transportation (which they did for my mom when she was getting chemo for her leukemia). Ask your hospital about local chapters, or if there is a local support group that might have volunteers.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#40055 05-28-2006 03:14 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Smitty, my husband had surgery, rad.tx , but no chemo, the 1st go round. He never had to be hospitalized during or after rad., but was knocked flat for weeks after it was over. If would have been very hard for him to care for himself adequately. If you are going to be alone-then please follow Gail's advice and get a support system in place to take care of gro. shopping, phone calls, picking up meds, paying bills, doing laundry, simple house cleaning, etc. Maybe you won't need them, but if you do, they will be there. Best luck with your treatment. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#40056 05-29-2006 04:45 AM

Smitty

I never had to be hospitalized during rad and chemo, but I was very sick and on enough painkillers during the last 3 weeks of it that I really could not have driven myself anywhere. I also entirely lost my voice for the last week and 1/2 of treatment and about 2 weeks after. All of these things would have made it very hard for me to get through treatment living alone. Although my husband has not always been the best caretaker, he did drive me to and from treatment or call other people who could drive me when he couldn't, and picked up prescriptions for me and paid the bills (didn't do much housecleaning though!) If you're going to be alone, I agree with Amy you will need a support system for these things.

Right after my treatment ended I got some sort of infection that sent my fever up high and landed me in the hospital for nine days (because the darned fever wouldn't go away and I had a very low white and red blood cell count). But this is not standard, although when you have chemo you are way more vulnerable to infections so it does happen.

The treatment fot this, espeically if you have radiation combined with chemo, is a real bear in terms of the support you need. It makes you too sick to really take care of yourself but usually not sick enough to be in the hospital. I would strongly recommend calling the American Cancer Society and seeing what resources they have available to help you. And also contact your place of worship, if you have one, and any other community organizations that might be willing to help. It makes you realize that that American ideal of independence and self-sufficiency only goes so far (and you'll always have a chance to "pay it forward" later for others in need)!

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#40057 05-30-2006 09:39 AM

Smitty,
I never spent a night in the hospital during treatment and I lived alone during treatment and recovery. Most of the time I drove myself to and from MD Anderson during treatment. At the time I lived about one half hour away.
Let me add that my mother and sister lived not far away and I had a girlfriend and other friends who could help out if I needed it. I kept a list of friends who were available to drive me to and from hospital visits when necessary. Near the end of radiation treatments I felt pretty bad and the pain patches were strong enough to make me a little drowsy at times, so a few times I accepted rides to and from treatment. But for the most part I just took care of myself, and, I might add, I preferred it that way. When I feel bad I don't necessarily like having people around and having too much conversation. My elderly mother was always ready to help out or go along, but if she was there, then I felt the additional responsibility of looking out for her and worrying if she was tired or hungry, etc. You will be able to judge whether or not you need help by the way that you feel. If you start feeling pretty uncomfortable or drowsy from medication, then, by all means, get a friend or some volunteers to help out. People love to help if they are asked.

Best of luck,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics