Smitty,
I never spent a night in the hospital during treatment and I lived alone during treatment and recovery. Most of the time I drove myself to and from MD Anderson during treatment. At the time I lived about one half hour away.
Let me add that my mother and sister lived not far away and I had a girlfriend and other friends who could help out if I needed it. I kept a list of friends who were available to drive me to and from hospital visits when necessary. Near the end of radiation treatments I felt pretty bad and the pain patches were strong enough to make me a little drowsy at times, so a few times I accepted rides to and from treatment. But for the most part I just took care of myself, and, I might add, I preferred it that way. When I feel bad I don't necessarily like having people around and having too much conversation. My elderly mother was always ready to help out or go along, but if she was there, then I felt the additional responsibility of looking out for her and worrying if she was tired or hungry, etc. You will be able to judge whether or not you need help by the way that you feel. If you start feeling pretty uncomfortable or drowsy from medication, then, by all means, get a friend or some volunteers to help out. People love to help if they are asked.

Best of luck,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.