Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Minick Offline OP
OP Offline

My brother, with Stage IV tongue cancer, has been treated now for over a year. First he had surgery, then a neck dissection revealed cancerous lymph nodes which were removed, followed by 37 radiation treatments and chemo.

He's 8 weeks out of the radiation therapy. A tumor beneath his chin came back positive--to which they were going to perform surgery+targetted radiation. He was scheduled for that tomorrow. But a needle biopsy on the other side of his neck revealed more cancer.

So they will start another regimen of chemo plus these tarceva pills. Does anyone know of this drug, or has anyone taken it with successful results? I'm afraid the doctors are running out of options and we are all very frightened. This is a fairly new drug (Nov 2004), so I'd appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Minick

P.S. He is not at a CCC, and refuses to seek another opinion, feeling he's with his medical team "til the end." How do we deal with this negative attitude??

Minick Offline OP
OP Offline

Does no response from ANYONE mean no one has heard of this drug? Or does it mean that you all who are usually most helpful and responsive are now being reticent because my brother's prognosis is grim? Am I doing something wrong in my postings? How is it that some people get a thread of 400+ going and i can't even get a nibble?

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Minick
Sorry you have not yet heard from anyone...I personally hve never heard of the drug. I am sure you will soon hear from those of our members who are familiar with it. If in fact you do not get the response you are looking for maybe you could try emailing Brian,Mark or Gail.
I am so sorry you and your family are having to deal with this.

Take Care
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Minick,

There is a lot of information on Tarceva, do a google search. I know of it because I am dealing with Lung Cancer and it is used as a 2nd/3rd line chemo. I don't know much about it being used for Oral Cancer. I think it targets a gene that the tumor needs to grow. Oh, I think the question got lost in your post.

Glenn

Minick Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much, Glenn and Marica. I did research the drug on the internet, but am most interested if any of the members of this forum have used it and if the response to it was good.

I know you people are out there--and I'm grateful that i have this place to go and learn and cyber-meet you.

Thanks again.

M.

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I sent an email out to doctor friends at 6 ccc's yesterday to try and find you an answer. So far only 2 have replied, and they are not using it, though aware of it. The lack of responses here is not because we are not interested in your plight, it is because no one has had any experience with this. I'll post again if someone replys to my inquiries that they are using it and what if any results they have seen so far. I wish you positive results, and hope for a quick control of this.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Minick, Likewise, I read your post but have no additional experience with the drug in question. I hoped others would be able to answer your question. For certain, I hope things work out better for your brother.

Take care

P.S. I marvel at the posts with 400 replies as well!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics