Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
clm4700 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, my husband is going to get the radiation and chemo treatment soon for the cancer at the base of his tongue. Many of you who went through the treatment talked about the various dental care stuff for use during and after the treatment. I also read some people said that they wish they had used certain dental care stuff so as not to have the suffering as they experience now. I'd like to ask for a list of the dental care we should prepare for the treatment. My husband doctor mentioned a couple of solutions he should use. But it seems there are many more stuff we need to get. Thank you for your help.

Yan

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Yan, My dentist "sealed" the wear surfaces of my teeth before I started treatment. In addition, floride treatments help. His dentist should be able to advise him about which brand of floride product may suit him better. Some here use trays for the floride treatment and do it quite frequently. Weekly floride treatment should be ok. I do one once a month. Brushing should be done 3 or more times a day.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hello

When brusing got painful and the RT created lesions on my tounge I used childrens milk teeth toothpaste, had the all the benefits and non of the pain!

Steeplechase

SCC Left tonsil removed, T1N2/3 May 2005, left radical neck dissection and wisdom tooth removed, 32 lymph nodes removed, 1 infected. 33 Fractions of RT, 2 doses of Cisplatin and a NG tube for 4 weeks! Treatment ended Mid August 2005.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Here's a list for you:

1. Biotene toothpaste (most stores have this)
2. Baby's toothbrush (easier on the gums)
3. WaterPik
4. Custom flouride trays (about 200+ bucks from your dentists)
5. Ask them for prescription strength flouride foam to go with them (far superior to OTC stuff)
6. Biotene mouthwash (do NOT use mouthwash with alcohol in it)
7. Yarn type dental floss - easier on the gums - this stuff is harder to find but usually drug stores have it - it has a candy cane logo on the container (J&J)

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

When I got to the point during radiation that I couldn't even tolerate a baby toothbrush, my nurses gave me little sponge-type swabs to help work the toothpaste around (which I then followed with flossing).

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

What Gary and Cathy said applys. I had no dental problems. I used the trays every night with floride.

Steve

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Regarding the ultra soft toothbrush for the most difficult period in the middle of treatments when the mucocitis is at its worst, the Laclede/Biotene web site has an adult size Ultra/ultra soft one for sale. I started out with the softest ones from the drug stores, changed to this Laclede brush when it was really tender in there, and then went back to the ultra soft drug store version towards the end. It goes without saying that during this period of time, I didn't care about my mouth that much since I was in so much pain...but no matter how disinterested or painful, patients HAVE to keep up their hygiene during this period of high risk for periodontal disease and caries. I would add to the list pf Gary's Biotene's Oral Balance gel to smear on the soft tissues during the night so they don't dry out, particularly if there is mouth breathing involved. The Biotene mouthwash was also helpful during the days, as it has glycerin in it and that helped keep things bearable. Least I sound too much like and advertisement for their products, the lack of SLS that is an irritating detergent in their toothpastes, and the lack of extremely strong flavors that burn really made a difference. Also worth having on hand, baking soda and salt for rinses to help with healing and cutting the mucous. As the doctors for some kind of lidocaine mouth rinse for when things really get sore. Variously known as

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

I had some personal emails about the flouride foam. There are two that I know of: Butler 0.9% (pH) Neutral Flouride Topical Foam and one by Oral B. Note that these are prescriptive and you can only get them through your dentist. I tried the Oral b at the dentist office and I am going to switch to that when my can runs out. The foam is great, you use very little and it stays in place. You can get many different flavors as well.

From what I have heard, these are clearly superior to any OTC stuff. The pH neutral is very gentle on the tissues. It's a 5 minute treatment.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
clm4700 Offline OP
OP Offline

I am very grateful for the help you offered to me. Last night after I sent the message, I surfed the postings. Some people mentioned using drugs for dry mouth problem. I am wondering whether there are other dental problems besides the dental care we sould prepare. Thanks again for your help.

Yan

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

ph neutral also does not etch the surface of your teeth... or porcelain crowns.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users