Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38586 05-20-2005 01:17 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

The last thing I want to do is frighten people and different individuals react differently to radiation therapy to the oral cavity.
One of the worst of the many side effects has been a total loss of all salivary function. Saliva, as most of you know, not only lubricates the oral cavity but contains enzymes and anti bacterial agents that are necessary for optimal Dental health. I recently passed the one year mark, post treatment. I cannot swallow liquids (Dysphagia). I have but twelve teeth left, all were pulled prior to treatment, and last month at my second 6 month dental follow-up and cleaning I had seven relatively deep cavities all repairable but not pain free.
I have been faithful with twice daily floride treatments, brushing and flossing but still there were cavities. This is due to, NO SPIT, according to my dentist.
I have taken all the gland stimulants, etc. nothing works, all salivary function is gone, but that is still better than the alternative.
At one year, plus or minus a few days, post treatment I am NOT free of Cancer, But I am CANCER FREE.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

HI Darrell, I understand as I have spent many hours in a Dentist chair. Having root canals done
that don't last. I finally landed in Little Rock
and the Dentist here said I should have the bottom
teeth removed. I live on baby food now but don't
mind. I still have most of the upper teeth and
still doing good. Only because I don't chew any
more. I'm 15 years out and the salvia is coming
back. Keep in touch.
Cathy

Cathy

SCCA Stage IV diagnosed 01/90
base of tongue with 1/2 removed.
With neck resection, radiation and chemo
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

That is good info Darrell, are you using any of the Biotene products?

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Please...anyone considering an extraction AFTER radiation treatments from a part of the bone that was in the field of radiation, BE SURE that the dentist knows about your radiation treatments, and also that he consults with your oncologist, or more specifically a dental oncologist which there are many of, mostly located at major cancer centers. There are healing issues post extraction and dire consequenses for some if this is not approached properly. For some, O2 dives prior to the extraction may be a necessity. Do not take this issue casually.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

I use Biotene products and Floride (Sodium Floride) treatments in custom made trays.
I mix Biotene mouthwash with my artificial spit.
All of my extractions were pretreatment as a safeguard, hopefully preventing the need for posttreatment extractions and the decreased possibility of mandibular necrosis.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.

Hi Brian, I have had the Dives of 02. I tell all
my Doctors about the cancer and radiation treatments. Hope all is well with you?
Cathy

Cathy

SCCA Stage IV diagnosed 01/90
base of tongue with 1/2 removed.
With neck resection, radiation and chemo

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260