Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37447 06-06-2004 02:27 PM
ncsib Offline OP
OP Offline

I just wanted to post an update on Eric. As many of you know, he underwent surgery Friday for removal of his lymph node. Unfortunately, they did find cancer when they went in, and he underwent the radical neck dissection. He is still in the hospital, and is hoping to go home tomorrow. Apparently the first night was pretty rough. He was nauseated from the surgery and pain medication; but since they switched him to a new medicine he has been feeling better. He is eating some (mostly liquids, ice cream at this point.) I talked to him yesterday and today, and he sounds great!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that I am truly amazed at the strength and comraderie of this group of people! He told me about this website several weeks ago, and I have been reading many of the posts. I am floored by the outpouring of love and support you show for one another. It is so awesome to read your comments to one another and see how you are lifting each other up. Thank you!!!!!!!!

Please keep Eric and his wife in your prayers, and I will continue to pray for you also.

Eric's sis in North Carolina

#37448 06-06-2004 03:17 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dear Girl...trust me you will be prayed for, you Eric and his wife.
I am so sorry you all are having to go through this . Hopefully he is now on the road to recovery.
Take care and
May your God go with you.
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#37449 06-06-2004 03:47 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Please let Eric know that I am thinking about him. Have the doctors said what the next step will be? I remember Eric telling us that he had not had radiation in that area yet.
I will be praying hard for him and his family.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#37450 06-06-2004 04:06 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey Eric's sis,
Thanks for the update and I know he must be glad to have you for a sister!! We will definitely keep you guys in our prayers. My husband had a radical neck dissection and it was not bad at all! He is now taking some physical therapy to get better range of motion and it's helping alot!

God bless you and your family!
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
#37451 06-07-2004 10:11 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Eric's Sister,

Please let Eric and his wife know that they are in my prayers. Hoping for a speedy recovery from the surgery. I know my mom had a neck dissection with her first sugery and that was the one of the easier things she had to recover from through all this. Please tell him we miss him on the board!

Take Care,
Dani

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate
#37452 06-07-2004 10:14 AM

ncsib: Was sorry to hear the news about Eric. It sounds as if the surgery turned out OK, though, so that is good and if it removed cancer from him that the Drs. didn't know about, that is very good. Please tell him that I just had my neck dissection 4 weeks ago and the recovery is not that bad. It's a lot easier than radiation, thats for sure. God bless you, Eric and his wife. You know that all of the folks on this site are praying for all of you.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
#37453 06-07-2004 11:26 AM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Sorry to hear Eric's news. I have been wondering how he was getting on and am wishing him a complete recovery. Best wishes to you all, from Helen, with love cool

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
#37454 06-07-2004 11:33 AM

Hello Eric's Sis & Eric,

Many members of the Oral Cancer Foundation have traveled the path you are now on. Your sister's
insight into the support, information and love avaiable from it's members is unconditional. As your treatment progresses you will have many questions to ask as well as share with us. We love to help in any way we can.

Please keep us posted as you go thru treatment, We love to hear good news!!!

I wish you nothing but the best,

Your new friend, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#37455 06-07-2004 01:46 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hello everyone, Eric here... Just got back from the hospital a few hours ago. And yes, I am the proud new owner of a radical neck dissection on my left side.

The first 24 hours or so after the surgery I doubted those of you who said this was a walk in the park compared with radiation (felt more like a MUGGING in the park). But today, I actually don't feel that badly. The biggest pain issue is actually in my throat. Apparently, they had some probs with the breathing tube during surgery and that left me with a HUGE sore throat for the first 24-48 hours or so.

I'm eating more and more, though it does feel weird to swallow, kind of like I'm going to pull out all the staples or something... Oh well... no steak and fries for awhile, and I get to renew my addiction to lortab... laugh

Of course, it was tough mentally for awhile as well this weekend. I remember waking up all groggy Friday afternoon and hearing something about cancer and the neck dissection. Even in my semi-conscious state, I knew what my doctor meant -- it's Eric vs. Cancer, Round Two. It was disheartening for sure -- for me and for a lot of the people who prayed for me and firmly believed that this was going to come back negative...

We're still waiting for the official pathology report but my ENT said the cancerous node was in an area outside the original radiation field, so I still can get radiation for that area. He was still pretty hopeful that we can give this the knock-out punch, but I've read enough on here to know that this road won't be an easy one...

I think my faith in God was strengthened this past weekend despite the physical setback. It dawned on me that just because God doesn't always answer our prayers in the way we want, it doesn't mean he isn't working or not up to something great in our lives. I just surrendered myself to Him and his purposes for me. Yes I am still praying for a total cure (for me and for all of us on here). But my biggest prayer is that I would walk with God instead of opposing Him no matter what the road ahead looks like.

Thanks to all of you -- and my wonderful sister and wonderful wife -- for encouraging me along this journey. You'll never know how much that has meant...

Tongue cancer (SCC), diagnosed Oct. 2003 (T2 N0 M0). Surgery to remove tumor. IMRT Radiation 30x in Dec 2003 - Jan. 2004. Recurrence lymph node - radical neck dissection June 2004. Second round of rad/chemo treatments ended Sept. 2004.
#37456 06-07-2004 03:05 PM

Dear Eric,
Thanks for your encouraging outlook on your situation. I, too, was disappointed when Dan had to have a radical neck dissection on Christmas eve, and then they couldn't even get it all. We had so many people praying and I had a room full of christian friends by my side during his surgeries. I had to truly put it back in God's hands knowing deep down that He has a plan and purpose for everything. It was hard because I just want him and everyone here to be rid of this horrible disease and be better. I can say that while I continued to pray and cry out to God, I did feel that He heard me and cried with me. I have been a christian for a long time but this has brought a closeness to God that I really haven't had a need to feel before, so like you, I try and see the good, too. And we have such an awesome support system in our Bible study group that I couldn't have asked for anything better. God does work in mysterious ways! You and your family continue to be in my prayers. Let your wife know if she ever wants to write me, please do...it's always nice to talk to other caregivers, too!

God bless,
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users