Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#36844 08-22-2003 09:18 AM
vb Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of or has taken the drug OXYCONTIN. It is for pain and every thing I find on the WEB leads me to believe it's pretty serious stuff. My mother was just put on it for pain relief. Worried about side effects, etc. Any information appreciated.

Vince
#36845 08-22-2003 10:17 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

It is pretty heavy duty stuff, Packer was on it during radiation, only side effects were constipation, He had no trouble weaning himself off of it. I would ask how old your Mother is ? The older one is the more serious the side effects may be, especially psychiatric, since older people don`t metabolize drugs as well as younger folks...............Dee

#36846 08-22-2003 01:10 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Vince,
I've taken Oxycontin. As with Packer, my biggest side effect was constipation. Be careful with whatever other meds that are being taken though. My doc prescribed a couple of other drugs at the same time, but failed to mention they shouldn't be taken simultaneously. I should have known better, but being in tremendous pain I figured the doc or pharmacist would have warned me about mixing. That wasn't the case. I woke up to minor convulsions, got sick and had a terrible headache. I called a Pharmacist to question the drugs I took and was told the combination could have caused me to stop breathing.

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.
#36847 08-22-2003 01:53 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Vince, I am pretty much against drugs of any kind, even the good ones, but I finally gave in and took Oxycontin. That stuff is GOOD! I did not experience any side effects and one day I just stopped taking it - no tapering off and no problems. The other good one, which worked so well for radiation burns, was the Fentynal patches. I came to appreciate those too because if one doesn't do the job, you just stick on another and another. I think these are a step up from Oxycontin because I had to practically sign my life away to get them. I don't think you need to worry about her taking Oxycontin.

#36848 08-22-2003 03:21 PM
vb Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the replies. Right now my mother is on no other pain meds. She takes Salagen, Potassium and Blood pressure med which her doctor is aware of. She says that the OXYCONTIN makes her drowsy, but the pain which was keeping her up at night seems to be relieved. She is 80 and has mets to the lung from earlier oral cancer. The pain in her chest was beginning to become quite uncomfortable I'm sure if she was looking for a stronger pain medication it must have been pretty bad. Again thanks for the feedback and best wishes to everyone in the forum.

Vince
#36849 08-22-2003 08:59 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Vince,
ALL long term opioids are pretty serious stuff! Oxycontin is the only one I haven't taken. They all have potential for side effects, constipation problems and addiction/withdrawal issues.

I would have never gotten through this without them. Pain management is an extremely important aspect of curing this disease.

These drugs will always make you drowsy when first taking them - that should subside with time.

Be sure to consult with your doctor about any concerns you may have, especially when she plans to stop using it. It is best phased out gradually.

And like D said, I would discuss any new meds with the pharmacist for potential drug interactions and common adverse reactions. Dee makes a good point too that age can be a consideration. You would be surprised how many doctors prescribe conflicting medications.

I find it's better to have a consult from the pharmacist than the sheet they hand you where they have to list, by law, even one adverse reaction in a million taken. Where else can you find drugs that cause constipation and diarrhea at the same time!

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#36850 08-23-2003 05:22 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, I was always afraid of drugs so I went thru most of my in home treatment with only Tylenol with Codine. My last flap on my wrist shaved a nerve and the pain was severe. They gave me Oxycontin as back up pain meds. I wish someone had given this to me years ago! With the Codine I fell in the bathroom , broke stuff, etc, because I was so groggy from it. The oxycondin I would take and lay done , 15 minutes to dull pain, then in 30 , all gone! I usually fell asleep, then when I got up, I had no pain and I was totally clear headed. It lasted more than the 6 hours between doses that they said.More like about 8 hours and I took a low dosage. I had no constipation with it, but I was back on regular foods quickly. First thing I do when I can eat is pop ice cream in my mouth and all problems are solved. I was taking both meds at different times, and I worried me what I would be like when I went off them. Nothing, I used regular tylenol and Advil if I found I had any pain and I never missed the stronger stuff. I put myself thru a lot of unnessary pain because I was stubborn about it, after 9 surgerys I figure this is crazy, no one should be in pain, I have taken myself off of this stuff a good many of times and there has never been a problem.

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#36851 08-23-2003 04:59 PM

FDA STRENGTHENS WARNINGS FOR OXYCONTIN
FDA has strengthened the warnings and precautions sections in the labeling of OxyContin (oxycodone HCl controlled-release) Tablets, a narcotic drug approved for the treatment of moderate to severe pain, because of continuing reports of abuse and diversion.

OxyContin contains oxycodone HCL, an opioid agonist with an addiction potential similar to that of morphine. Opioid agonists are substances that act by attaching to specific proteins called opioid receptors, which are found in the brain, spinal cord, and gastrointestinal tract. When these drugs attach to certain opioid receptors in the brain and spinal cord they can effectively block the transmission of pain messages to the brain.

OxyContin is a controlled substance in Schedule II of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), which is administered by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Schedule II provides the maximum amount of control possible under the CSA for approved drug products.

In recent months, there have been numerous reports of OxyContin diversion and abuse in several states. Some of these reported cases have been associated with serious consequences including death. In an effort to educate health care providers about these risks, Purdue Pharmaceuticals, manufacturer of the product, has issued a warning in the form of a "Dear Healthcare Professional" letter. The "Dear Healthcare Professional" letter will be distributed widely to physicians, pharmacists, and other healthcare professionals. The letter explains the changes to the labeling including proper prescribing information and highlights the problems associated with the abuse and diversion of OxyContin.

OxyContin, like morphine, has a high potential for abuse. It is supplied in a controlled-release dosage form and is intended to provide up to 12 hours of relief from moderate to severe pain. The tablet must be taken whole and only by mouth. When the tablet is crushed and its contents are injected intravenously or snorted into the nostrils, the controlled release mechanism is defeated and a potentially lethal dose of oxycodone is released immediately.

FDA has worked with Purdue to make specific changes to the OxyContin labeling. The new labeling is intended to change prescription practices as well as increase the physicians' focus on the potential for abuse, misuse, and diversion.

Changes include a "black box warning", the strongest type of warning for an FDA-approved drug. The new warnings are intended to lessen the chance that OxyContin will be prescribed inappropriately for pain of lesser severity than the approved use or for other disorders or conditions inappropriate for a Schedule II narcotic.

The FDA-approved indication for OxyContin is for the treatment of patients with moderate to severe pain who are expected to need continuous opioids for an extended time. An important factor that must be considered in prescribing OxyContin is the severity of the pain that is being treated, not simply the disease causing the painful symptoms.

FDA continues to recommend that appropriate pain control be provided to patients who are living with severe pain. Although abuse, misuse, and diversion are potential problems for all opioids, including OxyContin, opioids are a very important part of the medical armamentarium for the management of pain when used appropriately under the careful supervision of a physician.

Because of the ongoing problem of OxyContin abuse and diversion, FDA has met with DEA, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Agency, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, Purdue, Inc., and others. FDA will continue to monitor reports of abuse, misuse, and diversion of OxyContin and other opioids and will work with other federal agencies and drug manufacturers to help ensure that these important drugs remain available to appropriate patients.

Since all opioids are subject to abuse, misuse, and diversion, FDA is encouraging all manufacturers of opioids sold in the U.S. to review voluntarily, and revise as necessary, their product's labeling to provide adequate warnings and precautions regarding these risks and to promote responsible prescribing practices.

For more information, patients and healthcare providers can call Purdue Pharmaceuticals at 1-888-726-7535, or go to FDA's website at www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/oxycontin

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#36852 08-23-2003 05:53 PM

And about Fentanyl patches. A pharmcist in our area recently committed suicide with an overdose of the patches. I would check with your doctor and pharmacist to find out safe dosing limits before increasing your dose rate.

It is generally not a good idea to quit suddenly when on long term opioid therapy. Discuss this with your doctor and pharmacist beforehand.

All of these drugs are usually safe and efficacious if used as directed and the patient is not allergic or have an inappropriate immunological response.

The benefits far outweigh the risk.

Managing pain is vital to a full recovery.

Gary Allsebrook
#36853 08-23-2003 06:18 PM

Okay, Gary, I hear you. Let me make it clear, then that when I used OxyContin I used the amount I was told to, and did not quit without getting clearance to. Same with the Fentanyl patches (which I loved!). I was given a limit of how many. I am 5'9" and 120 lbs. and was told I could use as many as 4 at one time, which I did for several days. Those I tapered off, not because I was told to, but because I wanted off them, but I didn't want any pain (grin).

Gnelson, you and I must have read the same book because I refused everything and depended upon OTC Tylenol until the last three days of radiation when I was burned six ways from Friday and began shaking uncontrollably. It was then suggested that something stronger might be in order. I told them I felt no pain, they said that was because I was in shock. The moral? Sometimes mind over matter is really, really stupid. Have a little mouth surgery coming up. If there is pain, you can be sure there WILL be drugs! I have learned my lesson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users