Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36817 07-14-2003 04:59 PM
Melanie Offline OP
OP Offline

I was diagnosed with a Ewing Sarcoma on my right mandible over 27 years ago (I was 12 years old). I was treated with radiation and chemotherapy. I am very healthy now but have problems with my jaw that stem from the radiation.

I may have to have some teeth removed and I am considering implants to replace them. Has anyone out there had dental implants on a radiated jaw? Please share your story.

#36818 07-14-2003 07:42 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome, Melanie, and congratulations on surviving something that horrible! As far as implants to a radiated jaw, stay tuned! After 20-30 hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatments soon to commence, I will have the bad teeth extracted and the implants placed, then 10 or more additional "dives" and six months later teeth. There will be interim teeth so I will be socially acceptable. The hyperbaric treatments cause new blood vessels to form in the radiated bone, which allows it to heal from the trauma of extraction. Brian Hill, this site's founder, knows more about implants than anyone, and when he gets time I am sure he can give you good information.
Joanna

#36819 07-15-2003 12:16 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I'd also be interested in finding out about more when it comes to implants.
David

#36820 07-15-2003 06:33 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Joanna,

I also curious about the outcome. My prosthodontist keeps wanting to get me implants.

Is your insurance company paying for this, especially the hyperbaric treatments? After I had the 16 teeth pulled prior to radiation which mine did pay for as a 'medical necessity', mine refused to pay for the replacment partials and would not pay for hyperbaric treatments to get implants or implants.

Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#36821 07-15-2003 02:12 PM

Hi Eileen! Long time no talk. My medical insurance flat out refused to pay for pre-rad extractions, but is going to pay for hyperbaric without so much as a whimper. Go figure. I am preparing to agitate to get them to pay for the surgery for the further extractions AND the implants. We shall see. My dental insurance is much less comprehensive and didn't pay for the earlier extractions either. That was left to the Mutual Insurance Co. of Joanna. A friend remortaged her house some years ago to pay for her implants, so it is with trepidation I await the decision of the involved insurors. I have a vision of me tottering around with a walker, years and years from now, picking up returnables to pay off my teeth (grin). Although the "years and years from now" part is okay.

It looks to be a couple of months at least until I actually get the implants installed, but I will most definitely post any relevant information here.
Joanna

#36822 07-16-2003 11:08 AM

Hi Joanna,
I have little time to post. I mostly read and chew on my lunch hour and that is about it. Eating and typing seem to come into conflict.

Anyway, between my husband who had to have almost all of his teeth capped after 3 root canals and my two partials, I've spent about $50,000 at the dentist above the insurance money in the last 3 years. And now they want to cap my remaining uppers and redo the partial. This is ongoing forever. No wonder I don't own a house at the shore.

Anyway, I wanted to remind you to keep accurate records of all your unreimbursed medical and dental bills, mileage to and fro all appts, and any payments on insurance. Anything over $7500 is tax deductible and depending on you bracket, you can get the government to cover some of this. Also, if you have dental insurance, you might want to get the dentist to bill it over two if that works for your deductible. For me, mine is so low, it is better to bill it all in one year and take the income tax deduction on what is not covered.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Eileen
P.S. How did you stand getting in that hyperbaric oxygen chamber. The one in Phila holds 8 people and looks like a 1000 gal oil tank. I'm terrified, but then I'm clautrophobic.

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#36823 07-16-2003 02:15 PM

Eileen, the chamber I will be in is strictly one person. I will lie there like a weiner in this see-through case. It will take a lot of will power to keep myself from doing strange things, knowing I will be under constant observation (grin). I don't have a problem with claustrophobia and even if I did, I am so motivated it would not be an issue. However, I think the fact that one is able to see out and it is not dark will be a big plus. Thanks for the reminder about receipts and mileage. We racked up 3,000 miles last year during my Great Adventure. Spent this afternoon at the local Health Resource Library where my good friend is the librarian. We searched subscriber data bases for info on implants and hyperbaric. Very interesting! Have to run now, but I may distill the info for a later post. Basically, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Once again, I have decided to be in the group where it works (grin).
Joanna

#36824 08-05-2003 01:22 PM
Flo Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Joanne,

What is and when should someone try the Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment? Have you done this yet? Is it for fisculars and infections and swelling due to poor drainage? Please advise. Still looking for more info. on fisculars and the care of. Does anyone have any great advice on this subject? Please...Thanks and take care...XoX Flo eek

Caregiver for my loving Sister Linda 37, Advanced Recurrence SCC of the Head and Neck. 2003
Diag. June 2000 with Tongue Cancer in Stage 3/Treatment RAD
#36825 08-05-2003 03:42 PM

Hello, Flo. HBO, in my case, is used because it causes new capilaries to be formed in radiated bone, which will carry oxygen to the wounds created in the bone by extractions. The treatment following the extractions will, if all goes as planned, heal rapidly because of the high concentration (2.4 regular atmospheres) of oxygen. HBO therapy is also used in wound care to help heal troublesome wounds, such as those suffered by diabetics. It may be that this could be helpful with non-helaing wounds your sister has. I know only about the dental aspect of it, but you might find out more information with a general Internet search, and it would be a good question to ask your sister's doc. And no, I have not yet begun, but I had the checkup today to rule out any contraindications (none) and could begin as soon as next week. I will ask them when I am there and see if they ever treat the condition in which you are specifically interested.
Joanna

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users