Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#36681 07-10-2003 07:16 PM
Joanna Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Just when I am enjoying summer, I find that I need some post-radiation dental extractions (yes, that is plural) and with the specter of osteoradionecrosis looming large in my mind, will be having as many hyperbaric treatments as I can get. I have read information about this on the OCF site and others, but would appreciate some first-hand information about these treatments if anyone in our group has had them. If I am the first, I will take notes and will be happy to answer questions in the future. Thanks.
Joanna

Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Joanna, I have had the Hyperbaric treatments for a few different things. What would you like to know? Be prepaired to watch lots of movies or TV. They told me I could sleep if I wanted to but that never happened. There are some side affects I hope they have told you about.
David

Joanna Offline OP
OP Offline

Side effects? WHAT side effects? This, David, is exactly what I want to know and I thank you very much for your response. My reading has turned up some interesting things like vision changes and inner ear bleeding. And, remarkably, that spas are offering HBO treatment for "rejuvenation" purposes, totally unrelated to any medical application! Is there a possibility, then, that I will not only save my mandible,but come out looking 20 years younger? (grin).
Joanna

WZ Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I had 20 hyperbaric oxygen treatments early this year. Each lasted 120 minutes. I did not feel any side effect, instead, it helped the healing of tissue damaged by the radiation. Yes, I watched 20 movies which I did not watch before.

WZ | Stage 4, Tonsillar Cancer Aug, 2002

The side affects I had were a change in eye sight and inner ear irritation. I never had the bleeding but apparently it can happen. My eye sight changed dramatically. I was pretty much blind as a Bat. I had glasses I used only for reading but soon needed strong glasses all the time. I also have very poor night vision now. They told me my eye sight would return to normal but it never has. We did however find out from the many eye exams I received that I had Cataracts. This was most likely caused by the radiation treatments and the hyperbarics caused them to grow. I must also mention that I went through 4 prescription changes for glasses in 3 months. The Optometrist loved me.
I also seemed to be very wiped out after I came out of the hyperbarics chamber. I usually needed to sleep. I am not sure if I healed any faster or better. What do you compare it to??? I found that the Doctors all differed on their opinion of Hyperbarics treatments. Some thought it may have helped a little. While others thought it work great and yet others said they thought it was a waste of time. Personally I felt better but it did not stop the necrosis of the jaw bone. I still ended up with it being replaced.

Joanna Offline OP
OP Offline

My goodness, David, you have really had one heck of a tough time! I hope you are feeling and doing better now.

I have given it some thought and have chosen NOT to have any side effects (grin). I learned that my treatments will be in a monoplace unit, so no reading or movies for me. Maybe if I use the time to sleep, I won't come out tired? Doc yesterday asked me if I am claustrophobic. I replied that it doesn't matter because I am motivated.

Thanks much, guys, for your input. I am now better informed and ready.
Joanna

I haven't really looked at any of it as a tough time. I just looked at them as new challenges and lots of little inconveniences. laugh As I've said before any of us that have been dealt this new and never to dull life just have to make lemonade out of lemons.
David

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

ALLRIGHT DAVID !!!!!

Add some extra sugar to my lemonaid....Joanna you're sweet enough not to need it. (besides it's bad for your teeth)

Dinah

I have heard about this hyperbaric oxygen treatment, but so not know what it is. The one thing I was blest with in life was great strong teeth. There are many blessings actually, this was one great one as well! Having no saliva, it is playing havoc with my gums! I was told that if I ever have to have a tooth extracted that there are these hyperbaric, etc treatments. What are they? Please advise.

Stage IVtonsil cancer
Diagnosed November, 1002

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Take a read around the main body of the web site. While there are people here who have had issues that you are asking about, and information for instance on 02 treatments...much of what you are asking about is there to be read. Use the search engine on the entry page to the site to find specific words that you are looking for. The information on those pages was compliled and the content checked for correctness by doctors on our board, and you can be sure that it is accurate.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users