Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Anita, in my case neck dissection was not part of my treatment, either. By using a fine needle biopsy the ENT doctor could already determine the cancerous lymph node involvement. The size and shape of it (actually I had two much enlarged lymph nodes)could be confirmed by MRI and CT scan. Both my tonsil and lymph nodes responded very well to radiation and chemo and they shrank significantly ( especially the tonsil) after the first two weeks. My oncologist told me two months post treatment that surgery was not necessary.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Anita,
A neck disection was NOT part of my treatment. There was no surgery at all. The lymph node involvement was determined by: Touch (palpation by MANY different doctors), MRI, CT, and P.E.T. scan. They didn't find anything over 1 cm. And like Karen they blasted that one with radiation and shrank it to nothing. The radiation oncologist also mentioned that there were other areas they were targeting also but didn't go into specifics. They also modified the treatment plan at the midpoint because the tumor melted so rapidly.

Other ways that they Dx lymph node involvement is post analysis after surgical removal and fine needle biopsy.

That's why I stated earlier that you have tough choices to make.

And then there is always "salvage surgery" in case something shows up later, but so far all my scans and exams have been "uneventful" (my new favorite word).

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

UNEVENTFUL indeed!

Do the most and best in fighting this thing. Leave NO stone unturned, leave NO option aside. Fight it every way and every moment. If one will kill it, do two.

Have I made my point!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Yes, Mark, you have made your point and I couldn't agree more. Offered sharp knives, evil death rays, and strong poisons, I said YES! to all of them and have not regretted it for a moment, because my life is happy and good and I have plans that involve the future. Which is not to say a conservative approach might not be a good choice for someone else. For me, however, I want the whole nine yards!
Joanna who survived poison, let alone cancer (grin)

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

i too became a cutthroat who was then cooked and poisoned. the easiest part was the surgery. the side effects were there from the beginning and got better as time went on, unlike the side effects from the chemo and rad that snuck up on me and got worse.

i say fight this cancer with everything you've got. i came through everything with flying colors, and am living a life just as grand as my pre-cancer life. it's even better because i learned just how strong of a person i could be.

no matter what you choose, remember to keep thinking positive thoughts. it will help you to get down this rough road.

I survived because I kept hope alive!!! Live, laugh, love and keep fighting hard.
Jeanette
Stage 3 oral cancer...over 60% of tongue and all lymph nodes on right side removed...July 2002.
Chemo and Radiation...ended September 2002.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users