Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36618 05-22-2003 06:17 AM
vb Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I was wondering if anyone on the board has been through this procedure. I believe it is done in conjunction with another CT scan to make sure they can pinpoint the area and make sure they get tissue from the middle of the area affected. My mother in undergoing the procedure tomorrow for a suspicious looking area on her lung. She talked to someone on the phone from the hospital where the procedure will be performed and they told her it would be a piece of cake compared to everything else she has had done in the last 2 years. They told her there would be some discomfort and that she would be at the hospital most of the day. Any information appreciated.

Vince

Vince
#36619 05-22-2003 10:50 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Vince,

I can only speak for myself. I had the needle biopsy under CT Scan on my liver. And it really was a piece of cake. But, that was because they gave me a drug that was the equivalent of about 4 or 5 Margaritas..and if I said anything they gave me more. I just this week was speaking to another lady that had it done and she said the same thing.

Wish I could tell you what it was, but evidently it doesn't have a long lasting effect. The recovery area only looked to make sure I wasn't bleeding and was coherent, then they sent me home.

Hope it goes that well for your Mom.

Take care,
Dinah

#36620 05-22-2003 11:11 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

CT guided needle biopsy is a common procedure, and as Dinah has said, not that bad as medical procedures go. Everyone that I have communicated with regarding this agrees that a day or two of minor discomfort afterwards is all there is to it... and the drugs were good. I forget what your mom went through, but it is really common for CT

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#36621 05-22-2003 12:51 PM
vb Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the info. Radiation ended in August 2001 for my mother. Turns out the radiation didn't do it, so she had surgery (mouth, jaw, tongue)in Feb. 2002. She has had 2 Pet scans since that surgery and the doctor was not concerned until the latedst one. The first was in the Fall of last year. Hopefully it will be scar tissue from the radiation as you suggest, but would it take this long to show up on a PET scan? As you can imagine she is worried and is dreading the outcome of the biopsy tomorrow.

Vince
#36622 05-22-2003 03:53 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Since it is in a PET scan, I am less sure that it might be scar tissue, as PET's find increased sugar burn or increased metabolism. If it had been a CT, scar tissue would have been more likely. Take heart in this, that PET's find a ton of things that are not cancers, and while a very valuable tool, they are not 100% accurate. Their false positive rate for cancer is fairly high. I wish you the best possible diagnosis, please let us know how things turn out.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#36623 05-22-2003 06:29 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear Vince,

My husband also had a spot on his lung show up at his first check-up, post radiation. Although I have no knowledge of the fine needle biopsy, I can tell you how lucky your Mother is to be able to have it.

In my husband's case, the spot was so small and in a position so hard to get to that they were afraid to use the needle. But, on the other hand, they couldn't afford to wait and see if the lesion changed over time. If it was a lung met, time was of the essence. He had to undergo an operation to remove the top third of his lung.

Thank goodness, it turned out to be scar tissue, apparently caused by a fungus in the Bay area. One kin to TB, but not detectable or life threatening in a well patient.

Going through this surgery so close on the heels of chemo and RAD just about got the best of him.

I know your Mom is worried, but this procedure is a god send for those who can use it. It's tough facing any new procedure, but in this case, the alternative is much worse.

I hope that this might help. Tell your Mother that she, and your family, are in my prayers.

Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
#36624 05-22-2003 11:46 PM
vb Offline OP
OP Offline

In response to what Brian said about CT scans. The doctor ordered a CT scan after the PET because of what he saw. When I talked to him he didn't say it was cancer of course, but I got the impression that is what he thought. But as you who have had this disease know you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. He said the spot was 2 inches in size, but did not say what part of the lung it was on. Thanks for your quick replies. I guess we'll have the answer good or bad by the middle of next week.

Vince
#36625 05-23-2003 07:06 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear Vince,

Please don't think the worst. My husband's PET and CT pointed toward a met, but we were blessed to hear the good news that it wasn't.

Keep the hope alive. Always.

Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics