Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36614 05-15-2003 12:02 AM
vb Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My mother who has had surgery and radiation for oral cancer over a year ago was given a pet scan a couple of weeks ago as a precaution. There was something suspicious in her chest so the PET was followed by a CT scan. Now her doctor is ordering a Fine needle biopsy. She is 80 years old, takes 1 low dose aspirin a day and meds for high blood pressure. She was told the biopsy can't be done until she has stopped taking aspirin for a week. What is the reason for that does anyone know? Is it because there is a danger of bleeding with the biopsy and aspirin is a blood thinner?

Vince
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi vb,

To my understanding you are right on. Aspirin is a blood thinner and I was taken off it before my surgeries. If there are other reasons I'm sure someone will be along to share.

Take care,
Dinah

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dinah has this right. Aspirin thins the blood, and has some effect on rates of clotting. These days doctors are even suggesting that a aspirin a day may prevent a portion of the cardiac events that are so common in our society. Anyone going into any type of surgery, no matter how minor, should have the best clotting ability available to them, and this means that her blood needs to get back to it's pre aspirin/normal state before they proceed.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics