Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36369 02-09-2003 02:09 AM
OP Offline

My husband, Ron, is finally "considering" allowing the drs to insert a feeding tube. Loss of over 70 lbs and inability to drink the 8 cans of Boost a day is not tolerable anymore. My question is if he has the tube inserted will he still be able to drink the Boost or Ensure by mouth if he wants to? The info this site has on feeding tubes is great, but I didn't see that topic addressed. I did read that a feeding could take up to one hour (instilling directly into the tube), but would he have to sip the Boost for an hour if he drank it? I would think not, but wanted to know if anyone out there has experience with the feeding tubes. Thanks.

Kathy

#36370 02-09-2003 05:36 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Kathy,
The feeding tube has no effect whatsoever on what a person can eat or drink. It merely adds another way to gain nourishment if a person cannot swallow any or enough food to get proper nutrition.
The feeding tube allows the user to regulate the speed of the drip. A normal feeding of two cans ordinarily takes me about 45 minutes. You can do it more quickly, but taken too quickly it can cause discomfort.
I need some information from those of you who have weaned yourself from the feeding tubes. After having my esophagus stretched, I am now able to eat a few things. I would like to know how those of you did it. Did you begin skipping tube feedings and replace them with eating meals...half and half, or what?
Thanks,

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#36371 02-09-2003 06:29 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, I have had my PEG tube for over two years, I hold the record at the large medical center that I am treated in. The reason being, a lot of reconstruction surgery. The first time I used it for 6 months then later for only weeks to 2 months. Right now i am half and half after last surgery. When you first start to eat there are a lot of foods that hurt your mouth or are not easy to eat, so you are not getting the food you need, so you suppliment with using the PEG tube. So weather it is soft or solid food, or liquid can you can go back and forth with no problem.

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#36372 02-09-2003 07:03 AM

Sorry, somehow my post went in before completed and I could not get addition on it???!!!. I used my PEG tube after this last surgery, right before the Holidays, I was trying to do too much and I had a lot of company and I ended up not taking very good care of myself. So we made a new rule on feedings, at least twice a day the feeding had to be in my bedroom with prop pillow or in chair, I could watch TV but only old sitcoms, or similar slow type programs. I could read but same rules. The drip would be slow, if On pain medications take before feeding, they seem to work better in the slow down mode. You can even light a candle of your favorite scent. You get to like this so much you do not want to give it up! I also went on a trip and was worried about how to use bag. Many people have floor lamps, good to use. Carry an S hook with you and you can fine ways.My ENT has hooks behind every chair, the nurse said for feedings and some people like a water drip after meds rather than the syringe. Big tip I got from Packer 66, you can put tea, coffee, soda or what ever liquid drink you like down your. tube. I often had a cup of coffee with reading the morning paper. If you have had any constipation from diet and meds this may help. Anyone else have any tips to improve life on a peg?

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#36373 02-09-2003 07:05 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Danny..........Good news about your ability to eat a few things. How is the food tasting? I think as you become more confident about your eating ability you will just gradually lesson the amount of food you take through the PEG. I really didn't wean myself from the tube so to speak, but gradually, I just was able to get the nutrients I needed orally without using the tube. You'll know when you're ready to get rid of the tube. Anyway, I did. I probably kept in in longer than I need to, but keeping it didn't hurt anything either. I am so happy you're finally eating real food. Isn't it fun? I know after not eating anything orally for almost six months, that first taste of food was heaven! ENJOY!

Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#36374 02-09-2003 07:19 AM

Donna,
Thanks for the encouragement. I have been trying a few things. Food doesn't taste as good as it did before radiation. I successfully ate canned diced peaches and Chinese egg drop soup. I tried some spaghetti and meat sauce yesterday, but it had too many chunks and wasn't very good. Next I plan to try scrambled egg and some other noodle variaitons. Did not someone here say that Taco Bell bean burritos were a big success?
I must say that chewing feels like a strange sensation as well.
Documents from my dietician that I reviewed suggest weaning by skipping one feeding per day if you can substitute it with eating foods. So far I have used food to supplement the feedings.

Thanks again for the support,

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#36375 02-09-2003 01:25 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Danny, My husband never went with the PEG tube, but he did have severe swallowing problems and mouth sores which he still has today (2 months, 2 weeks post radiation treatment). He found that chicken noodle soup w/the very thin noodles was helpful (Mrs. Weiss's brand). He also managed to eat scrambled eggs, some very soft baked fish filets (boneless), very whipped potatoes (they have to be extra creamy and whipped to a real light, fluffy consistancy), rice krispies cereal in milk, canned diced pears in heavy syrup and ice cream (that was melted down to a liquid consistancy). I hope some of these ideas help, and I wish you the best of luck. Hang in there - things will get better.

DonnaJean
#36376 02-10-2003 03:19 PM

Danny,

I ate a lot of eggs and quiche at first. I still have my tube, I use it mostly in the mornings, and the eat regular meals. When I first started eating, I could only eat small amounts, so I supplemented with the PEG. I weighed myself everyday to make sure I was maintaining my weight, and if I was not, I would add another can.

SCC of Tongue stage IV, partial glossectomy with modified neck dissection RAD/Chemo

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics