Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#36212 03-24-2003 03:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joansie,

I too have tonsil cancer with neck mets - and liver & bone mets. The only reason surgery was really done on me was to find the primary...I had surgery and radiation. 7 months after radiation finished they found the liver and bone mets.
I am on chemo now, and they feel that treating systemically will take care of both liver and bone and any other cancers. One can hope!!! I was told they wouldn't do chemo at the time because they felt the stress to the body with radiation was too tough. I don't believe that. I think it's tough, but I also believe I wouldn't be where I am if they would have done both???

Sloan is one of the top 2 head & neck centers in the U.S. MD Anderson being the other. Stay at Sloan where you can get multiple doctors and opinions all in one place, you are so lucky you're as close as you are.

Please come back and keep us posted. This is a great group of people and we'll be here for you as you go through this.

Take care,
Dinah

#36213 03-24-2003 03:52 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Rosie, I am so sorry to hear about Heather's re-occurance. What terrible news to hear, and know that my thoughts and prayers are with both of you - as well as to everyone here. I think it's safe to say that most people put a lot of faith and trust in their team of doctors who are treating them - and if a doctor recommends against chemo, we trust they know what they are talking about. From my personal experience in my husbands treatment - chemo and radiation were both recommended for his stage III/IV scc. The combo did quite a number on his energy and lifestyle - but looking back, I am so glad it was done. I was told that radiation is necessary to shrink the tumor, but the chemo is basically what stops it in it's tracks from spreading. Although I certainly am not a doctor - I can't see why any Physician would NOT recommend both for a later stage cancer - along with possible surgery, unless the cancer is still in it's very early stages. When my husband Johnny was in the hospital getting the chemo - the "chemo doctor" came in one day and told him...."Y'know, this may not help you at all"! When I heard this statement from my husband - I was appalled! Knowing my husband was just starting his treatment at that time - and the level of fear we were both experiencing - it never ceases to astound me how some doctors can be so insensitive and downright negative. As it turned out - my husband proved the doctor wrong - the chemo along with the radiation DID help - as of my husbands surgery last month, he has been declared "cancer free" - and I thank God for that. Although I know he is still not "out of the woods" yet - I always like to hold onto hope - and Rosie, although things may seem hopeless at this time - be strong and keep the Faith - miracles can and do happen all the time. God bless you and let us know how Heather is doing.

DonnaJean
#36214 03-25-2003 06:29 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

When my husband was undergoing his chemo (x2) and radiation (x42) he also had the symptoms that all of you have described. He was strictly a meat-and-potatos kind of guy. Not being able to eat what he really wanted did a number on his weight and overall outlook.

One day while he was receiving ethyol, before his radiation treatment, I picked up a cancer cookbook that happened to be on the nurses' desk. In it I found a miracle! I prepared this milkshake for him once a day and actually had him MAINTAINING weight during and slowly GAINING weight shortly after treatments ended. (Dennis had a PEG tube, but never used it thanks to this drink) When the radiologist found out what I was doing, she had me fax the recipe to her, and now hands it out to all cancer patients in her care.

Dennis called it his MEGA-SHAKE:

Blend together:
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 cups ice-cream
1 TBSP malted milk
2 TBSP Ovaltine
1 package Carnation Instant Breakfast

This provides 1300 calories per 20 oz. serving. I have the stats on protein, etc. if anyone is interested somewhere in my files. I now fix this thing in my sleep! Dennis is now 4 months out of radiation and chemo, but still likes this on his "bad" days.

If you like sweets (which we've found out is the last sense to come back) you will love this one.

I hope this helps.

Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
#36215 03-26-2003 03:32 PM

Mandi, good tip on the "Mega Shake"! What struck me in particular was the Ovaltine in it. My husband basically survived on chicken noodle soup (w/VERY thin noodles) and glasses of whole milk with Ovaltine mixed in it. It helped to keep his weight fairly stable - but it didn't help with his severe phlegm problem at the time. (it still is bothersome now and then). But I will print out this recipe - I'm sure it will be helpful to my husband and to anyone who is having a hard time eating and maintaining their weight. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us!!

DonnaJean
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320