Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J4 Offline OP
OP Offline

Please help me, I've spent many sleepless nights trying to decide weather to go through the operation or not. According to my doctor, having the procedure will lower my chances of having a recurrence but with no guarantees. I really don't know what to do. I keep on thinking that the recovery from radiation is not over, I feel sick, have ear pain, throat pain , I'm still drinking and eating through the tube and now I'll have this surgery and go back even further. Please, please help me decide.

JU
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

modified radical neck dissection is way easier than radiation..........I`ve had both, and the surgery was easier.......just my opinion remember......

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My husband completed radiation therapy at the end of August. He was treated for cancer of the tonsil with mets to the right side of his neck. The MD feels very secure in saying the tumor is completely gone from his throat but it is only a 50/50 guess if it is gone from the lymph nodes in his neck. He is scheduled for surgery on his birthday, Oct 9. He is also still feeling the ravages of radiation and chemo. But we both agree we would rather have 99% odds with the surgery instead a 50% guess without the surgery.
I am a nurse so my thinking might be a little more clinical than others but I am also his wife and I want us both to sleep at nite. Good luck LM

Hi Cancer4:

Packer is right on-the nexk dissection albeit not a walk in the park is extra insurance against reoccurence and is not entirely too horrible. I notice that you are also posting from Boston and will e-mail you my phone number privately. If you have been following the posts, you may know that my partner Dave just had a neck dissection and a very involved palate reconstruction for tonsillar cancer and he came home today, a week after surgery and almost a week ahead of the projected schedule. he had his surgery at Mass Eye & Ear. I would be glad to share with you some names of trusted people there should you want to explore a second opinion if you haven't done so already.

It is certainly more physically challenging to have surgery when you have been through radiation and don't feel well nourished. We had that conversation with the folks at Mass Eye & Ear and many did say that although it is harder to operate on tissue that has previously been radiated, there is a better cure rate after neck dissection if the oral cancer has spread to any lymph nodes prior to diagnosis.

Dave and I are also friendly with a gentleman from the Boston area who, like you had radiation first followed by two subsequent neck dissections (one on each side) after base of tongue cancer and he is doing very well.

This is clearly and overwhelming time for you much like the one Dave and I had a few weeks ago when trying to decide if he should have surgery or simply radiation and chemo. In retrospect, and now after having spoken to many, I am still feeling like we made the right choice for us.

You need to follow your gut and do what will give you the most peace of mind. As for the specifics of neck dissection surgery and any questions you may have-please feel free to call-Dave is very hoarse still but my ears are available.

Thinking of you,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"

Hi Cancer4:

I just noticed there is no e-mail address attached to your member profile. Mine is [email protected]. Feel free to e-mail me and I will give you our phone number if you need to talk.

Hang in there,

Kim & Dave

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260