Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35964 09-12-2002 05:05 PM
OP Offline

Hi
I just need a few questions answered. My mom was just told that along with her chemo treatments she also needs rad. twice daily. The nurse told her she will have horrible side effects and that she recommends a feeding tube. She will have 7 weeks of rad. Is a feeding tube always the way to go, will she be able to eat or swallow at all?? Will the tube cause discomfort for her and how long will it need to be in after treatment? This is all new to us and she is so scared about the tube. She was told it will feel like she have broken glass in her throat after rad. I was wondering how soon the effects of it will start and how long after they will subside. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
denise

#35965 09-13-2002 12:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Denise,

Please, please, please have your mother get a PEG tube. I know from my experience with my mother and from the people on this list who were more knowledgeable than I.

My mother had 64 radiation treatments (32 times 2 a day) plus 6 chemo treatments. She felt she could go it without the tube (even though she wasn't eating much at the start). It was about 5 weeks into treatment when it hit her. Since the facility my mom was going to doesn't like PEG tubes, the doctors did not want to put in a tube -they feel it leads to swallowing problems. Well, my mother made it through treatments BUT for the 2 weeks she has been home (she was getting treatment 2 hours away) there has been nothing but trouble. In the first week she became dehydrated and I had to get a home nurse to infuse her. As a result of the dehydration and the fact that she still was not drinking her nutrition, I basically railroaded her into getting a tube.

The problem with the treatments is that the patients go along for about a month feeling O.K. but then everything hits them like a ton of bricks-and it is difficult to play catch up.

So my advice is to do it - it is very convenient.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cynthia

#35966 09-13-2002 01:01 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

yeh, I sure recommend a peg tube too, with chemo and radiation, it`s going to be rough.......Pegs are easy, and a great way to get nutrition into her smile

#35967 09-13-2002 01:48 PM
OP Offline

Cynthia and Packer
thanks for your advice, I will definitly let my mom know. Just wondering isnt 7 weeks of rad. 2 times a day an awful lot?? Does this equal 70 treatments for her? Im not sure of how you calculate it. Also is there much discomfort with the tube?? I'm wondering if it will really be uncomfortable for my mom? Any info. is appreciated.
Thanks
denise

#35968 09-13-2002 03:29 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Denise,

No, the PEG tube is not uncomfortable although my mom has had some pain at the site for the first days.

As far as the rad treatments - 7 weeks is par for the couse. You might ask one of the rad techs how much radiation your mom gets per dose. Mine got 120 per dose times 2 times 32 treatments which equals total of 7680. My understanding is that this is a bit high - usual is between 6000-7000. But it depends on the stage and what other treatments are involved.

Cynthia

#35969 09-15-2002 12:04 PM

Denise,

My 38 year old son just completed 2 1/2 months of radiation/chemo treatment for tongue cancer. The Peg is a "must". He had it put in prior to starting radiation so that he would not be suffering the effects from that, plus trying to use it for his sole source of nutrition. The sad part about this type of treatment is the amount of weight patients lose even with the peg. Don't wait....

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics