Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35883 07-06-2002 04:31 AM
OP Offline

well..... we went to the oncologist yesterday. the news was not good.at best he has a 10 % chance of surviving a year. Radiation, chemo, and full surgery will not kill this thing. First thing next week he has to get a p.e.t. scan. It will find a tumor 2 millimeters or larger. If that comes back dirty below the neck, they send him home to make his last days comfortable. We just sit and watch this horrible thing eat him to death. If it comes out clean then his only option for treatment could kill him.....its extremely rare but the only hope he has is to do chemo and radiation at the SAME TIME! She said they would be using 3 of the most toxic drugs known to man.she said she would have to bring him to death's door and hope she could bring him back. He doesnt think right now that this is an option because if e dies from the treatment it would shorten his time here and he would suffer.

#35884 07-06-2002 11:17 AM

I am SO sorry to hear this. I can really identify with your despair, anger, sadness - all of it. I've been there, too. If they are doing a PET scan, it sounds like they have not given up hope. At one time, my husband was given a 12% chance of living (even after surgery) - that was 5 years ago. He was so shocked by the statistic that he went into shock, into the hospital, and then got a lecture from a very kind doctor who explained 'the nature of statistics' and how they are derived.
I hope that you find answers and peace soon.
There is another part to this forum that deals with feelings - I've been very impressed with the compassion of that group. Perhaps reading their messages would bring comfort.
Please keep us posted.
Hugs,
Betty

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members