Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35856 06-18-2002 04:13 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Anyone used Salagen for dry mouth? It's working for another tongue cancer survivor that I know so I'm ready to ask my doctor for it. PS. Monday is my one year scan checkup! I'm counting on a good grade!! If so, yogurt for everyone. (I'm still swallowing liquids.) I did try canned pears last night and tonight and had some success (not much choking and carrying on). Baby steps that I can't tell everyone, but I knew you guys would know how hard canned pears could be for someone like me.

#35857 06-19-2002 04:20 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Midwest gal.........Salagen didn't work for me, but oh how I wish it did. About the only thing it did for me was make me sweat like a bull, and go to the bathroom more frequently. However, I have heard from many folks that it works for them, and hopefully you'll be one ot of the lucky ones! The only thing that has ever helped me with my constant dry mouth is good ole fashion water--the colder the better.

Good luck with all your tests next week. Let us know how everything turns out. Good to see you posting again! Sincerely, Donna

PS I was born in Des Moine, and raised in Waterloo, Iowa. Small world, huh?

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#35858 06-19-2002 05:13 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Salagen didn't do it for me either; I had the sweats all the time. Not just in the areas you would think, but my hands, the top of my head, etc. it was too distracting for the benefit for me, though I have talked with a couple of people who have adjusted to it all and are mostly happy with using it. You need to give it at least a 30-day run before you give up, after the first week or so you'll be adjusting you intake of it to try and balance the results. These days I

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#35859 06-19-2002 11:33 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

When I first took Salagen it seemed to help. My mouth was so dry that I couldn't sleep for more than 1/2 hour at a time. I kept waking up and having to sip water or sometimes get up to rinse my mouth. That was about 3 months after my radiation ended. I took Salagen for a while and the improvement happened fairly quickly and fortunately for me without the side effects. My ENT then had me try a new med Evoxac(?)(I think that was the name) and that was the same for me as the Salagen. Finally I stopped taking both (after about 6-8 months total of taking one or the other) I didn't notice enough of a change in the level of dryness to make it worth the difficulties I had swallowing the pills. You'd think that something for people with dry mouth would be in liquid!

ilene
SCC stage 1 1987, 1/4 of tongue removed, neck dissection, SCC stage 3 2000, another 1/4+ removed second neck dissection, radiation.
#35860 06-20-2002 06:49 AM
OP Offline

I am unable to take pills so far. I had hoped that I'd be able to crush Salagen. Do you think that's possible? If not, I'm too scared of choking to try the pills. I can get thru the whole night now without water. That is an improvement. I'm hoping that more salivia will make the food go down the throat better.

#35861 06-20-2002 07:29 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Midwest gal...........Some pills are OK to crush and others are not. Don't know about the salagen but it is probably best to check with your doctor--although I'm sure you already know that! smile

As far as eating, have you tried any scrambled or soft boilded eggs? I ate a ton of eggs and for a very long time. Also what worked for me was steamed/poached fish, very tiny bites, but a great source of protein. I surely do remember what it is like getting food caught in my throat and it still happens to me on occasion. To this day if I don't have a large glass of liquid at my side, whether it be water or milk, I simply cannot eat. Gone are the days of "eating on the run," I just can't do it. I hope that soon instead of taking baby steps, you're running full spead ahead! Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
#35862 06-20-2002 09:12 AM

My doctor said it's ok to crush the salgen. i will be having a peg tube put in, and they said i'll be able to crush up the pills and slip them in the tube. none of this happens until july, but just sharing the info with you.

I survived because I kept hope alive!!! Live, laugh, love and keep fighting hard.
Jeanette
Stage 3 oral cancer...over 60% of tongue and all lymph nodes on right side removed...July 2002.
Chemo and Radiation...ended September 2002.
#35863 06-20-2002 03:48 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Just be careful when you crush up any tablet to put in your PEG, that it is crushed VERY FINE. Once you get the tube, you will realize how easy it is to have it plug up, and what a major pain in the rear it is to unplug it. I actually bought a small pharmaceutical type mortar and pestle. After crushing a tablet I would then add it to a very small amount of water in a plastic cup, stir it into solution, and then suck that up with the syringe, and finally squirt it all into the PEG. That was followed by several more squirts of clear water to ensure that the peg was completely clean and free from anything that would dry up in it and clog it. Since you haven't had the joy of having one of these things yet, I just thought I would warn you. They are a temperamental contraption at best. One day when I was particularly sick, after eating (if you can use that term) a few cans of Ensure, (high protein and fiber containing, mixed with 50% plain water) I fell asleep for the balance of the morning. Pain meds will do that to you. I woke up and went to unhook the bag and rinse the tube with a syringe full of water. It seemed that no amount of pressure on that syringe plunger was going to clear it. It took an hour of flexing the tube, and trying to force hot water through it (and into me) to get it cleared out. I was about to have to go back to the hospital to have it changed out when it finally blew through. Just be careful what you put in the PEG and rinse it after everything.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#35864 06-20-2002 06:23 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Boy, I forgot about peg tube plug ups! Had a few of those myself and it is no fun monkeying around with the tube trying to unplug it either. One of the things that my oncology nurse did tell me though was to fill my tube up about once every two weeks with a cup of coke a cola. Coke being what it is actually was supposed to clean the tube and help it remain unclogged. I used the coke but still had a few episodes where the tube would plug up. I do think some of my problems with the tube occured because I always tried to "feed" too fast. Take your time when eating, and like Brian says, remember to rise well. Sincerely, Donna

#35865 06-21-2002 01:46 AM

Wow Donna! Coke for the peg tube, huh? I never heard that one before!! Amazing how different docs have different solutions for the same things. We always only flushed mom's peg with water......the poor thing always thought she would eventually float away!! Sooo much water, but, boy does it help!!
Also, Midwest Gal....always check with the doc about crushing pills, but in our experience, the only medicine we couldn't crush for my mom was Oxycontin and believe it or not, her Iron .....anything that's time released is not crushable. Once she was to the point of not swallowing anything, those meds were simply out of question. Thankfully, these days, there are many meds available in liquid form, and many others crushable.
Good luck!!

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users