Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35840 05-29-2002 10:48 AM
Joanna Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Has anyone had any experience with this (also known as Cisplatin)?

Radiation oncologist has suggested this chemotherapy to accompany the radiation. I have done the research and know of the benefits and also the renal toxicity. I will most probably agree, as I figure anything that might kill the OC and prevent it from returning is in my own best interest. However, I would appreciate knowing what I am getting into.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Joanna

#35841 05-30-2002 05:20 AM

Hi, My husband had Stage four cancer of the tonsil, he had surgery 7/31/01 and started treatments in August. He had a radical neck dissection, radiation/chemo. He was on Cisplatin. He only has one kidney due to an accident 18 years ago so they were a bit concerned. They kept him well hydrated. He had to drink alot of water, but that was the problem, the chemo made him sick which made it hard to keep anything down for two days after the chemo. He would end up in the hospital overnight (which is norm I am told) then stay an extra day. They kept him in the hospital with every treatment (he had three) he got hydrated two hours before they started treatment and two hours after, and they make sure you tolerate it before they let you home. At least in Dan's case. Once he had to go to the emergency room ( it was a weekend )because he couldn't keep liquids down and they hooked him up to an IV bag with saline for 4 hours. He had blood taken alot to see how his kidney was doing, if the levels were high they would hydrate him. They said this was the best drug for his cancer so he dealt with it. Dan was able to get through radiation w/o a feeding tube.
Good luck. Make sure they expain everything to you. He was also on two drugs to keep him from getting sick, but they didn't work the first two days after chemo. He didn't lose his hair either it only thinned a bit. One good thing I guess.

#35842 05-30-2002 02:38 PM
Joanna Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much, Susan. That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. I can handle just about anything if I know what I am getting into. I kind of thought I had agreed to this already, but today got a call and an appointment to "discuss the option of chemotherapy" with yet another doc. This is on the afternoon of my first radiation. Should be a fun day wink . Thanks again, and I hope your husband has recovered fully.
Joanna

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users