Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I am trying to be strong, but i'm so scared and depressed I can hardly focus.

I find myself sleeping or walking back and forth in my house. I barely get my house cleaned at all. I'm not a slop by nature, but I feel like i'm turning into one.

It's beautiful outside, but It's an effort to sit in one spot for to long.

Someone please talk me outta this panic attack

Age 55, Right side throat with ear pain. Squamous cell carcinoma of the supraglottis with cervical neck metastasis. Stage IV disease with a T3, N2, MX

March 2008, diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Folicular Lymphoma

Now taking Thyroid pills for side effects of Rad Treatments

And Life Goes On...
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Ann Marie - Don't worry about taking care of your house, it will still be there after you take care of yourself! Unless of course cleaning gives you some exercise that relieves those anxious feelings. I use to vacuum in the wee hours of the morning when I woke up with that horrible anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach. Somebody on this site said that " it's harder for depression to hit a moving target" and it's true. I would also do toe touches and stay in the bent position - it made me feel like I was getting oxygen to my brain and it helped a little. Hot baths - deep breathing - holding a hot (not too hot) cup of tea close to my chest. If it's still beautiful outside it helps to walk around taking deep breaths. I'll bet if you called your doctor, he could give you something to relieve those anxious feelings. How about chocolate? ( I went thru a lot of those really good Ghiradelli carmel filled chocolate squares) Just hang in there Ann Marie - you can get thru this! I'm thinking about you and sending positive vibes your way.

Annette

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

ann marie2007 i know how that is i was depressed for awhilei had to stay busy not so bad now just hang in there it gets easier. ann marie is right if u call your doctor i'm sure he will give u something to relieve those feelings.

lynn lynn

linda anderson
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Ann Marie 2007-
Don't panic. You're about to take a journey. A journey many of us have been on. It's a long journey. Lonely and painful and scary sometimes. You need to know you can and will come out the other side of it. When do you start treatment?

dx 2/13/06. modified radical neck dissection 3/9/06 multiple biopsies of upper airway and direct laryngoscopy. 1 of 47 lymph nodes positive for metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma (lymphoepithelioma). Unknown primary. Finished radiation 5/24/06.

Hi AnnMarie2007,

My husband was pacing a lot too prior to starting his therapy. I felt so helpless not being able to help him. I called his oncologist and he prescribed valium and it helped him dramatically. Hopefully they can find something that will help you get through this. He said he felt more relaxed immediately, without feeling all drugged up.
We had expected the worst going through therapy and, for him, it wasn't as bad as expected. It is amazing how people respond differently to treatments.
Vicki

Care giver for Stage IV Base of Tongue TXN3M0
Neck Dissection 1-9-07
IMRT & 8 weekly Cisplatin
2/20/07 - 4/17/07

The "waaiittt is the hardest part". I remember pacing my house at all hours and wondering all the "what ifs". Once treatment starts you will be focusing on a goal and your mind will settle in. It then got really tough for me the 3 weeks after. I was done...yet getting worse every day. I used ativan and lunesta when I really needed it. I probably didn't use it enough. You will come out the other end and will be a changed person. Try to make this all a big positive in your life. Get all your friends and family around to participate and you will come out with stronger relationships than when you went in. Embrace the realtionships and it will all turn out ok. Were all here to ride the wave with you. All my best.
Rob J.

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

I agree the waiting is the worst. Here we are knowing that we have this terrible thing and we are waiting. But once the treatments start you feel much better in the fact they you are now doing something to fight it. When Marvin started his treatments and we got into a routine of traveling everday to indy then things seem to go better for us. Hang in there. Once you start the time will go by faster then you thought possible. Dont worry about the house it will still be there when you feel better.

Barb
CG for Marvin.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

" WAITING "

That is a word you will become very acquainted with through out your Journey.

You will wait for , treatment, scan,results of, waiting to feel better. Every time you tune around you will be waiting.

So try and take a deep breath and take one step at a time. Find someone to talk to as well. Read all you can here, the more you understand the better. We are all here to support you as you go.

Take care,
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
JAM Offline

Hi, AM2007- here's a very simple piece of advice-Make friends with the dust smile Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

I am right where you are, AnnMarie. Getting mask fitted today, start rad/chemo May 14. As radiation oncologist was describing all of the steps, the medications, side effects, etc. yesterday, I really began to feel overwhelmed, but it passed.

In a very short period of time, we will both be able to begin counting the days until we are cancer free. I am going to continue working as long as I can, and will remain active otherwise. Sitting is the worst, as it gets the mind rolling, which is a bad thing. ;-)

We tend to focus on all of the bad stuff that CAN happen in terms of side effects, and our mind turns that around and makes it seem like they WILL happen. According to my oncologist, about half of those going through this treatment course have "minimal" side effects. With anti-nausea and saliva producing medication, quality of life is significantly improved.

Keep posting and good luck. You will be in all of our thoughts.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260