Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#34906 01-28-2007 06:27 PM
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Peace,

I just had my surgery two weeks ago. One of the first questions I got after arriving at the hospital was "do you feel that you need something to relax you?" And then they promised me that they would be hitting me with pain meds before I even woke up. As soon as I woke, I felt I needed more relief and they gave me something right away. They do NOT want you to be in pain and they work very hard at keeping you comfortable.

You can do this, I promise you. If I can do it, I assure you, you can too.

Amy

Dx 11/30/2006 Stage I SCC of gum/surgery 01/12/07 resection of the right posterior mandible with a right buccal transpositional flap 3 teeth removed/reconstruction to come in 9-12 months
#34907 01-29-2007 02:30 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I ahevn't had any surgeries that long. But I have had several of them that were 4 hours or more, and I want to reiterate what others have said: you won't know how long the surgery is when you're under and you won't be allowed to feel much pain after. I think every surgery I've had, the first thing they ask when I have come out from under is whether I'm in any pain. And if you answer yes, they do something about it immediately!

Every time I've had surgery, I've been scared beforehand, until they put me out, but I always get this rush of relief afterwards--it is almost like some kind of high (probably aided by the pain meds) that I've gotten through the surgery and it's gone well. I bet you'll get that too.

The last surgery I had (a couple of weeks ago), I would just tell myself when I was scared that pretty soon it would be over and I'd be feeling the rush I got from the relief that I got through it and it went well!

You can get through this. I know it sounds terrifying but it's not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#34908 01-29-2007 04:12 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

When I had my surgery, it was a first for me. I hadn't been in the hospital overnight since I was 8, and here I was at 50 having "anywhere from 12 to 14 hours" of surgery.

It turned out to be 17 hours. As for being afraid...terrified almost to the point of being paralyed with fear was an accurate description.

As Nelie said, suddenly you're asleep, and waking up with it all behind you is a relief. The pain management issue is one everyone fears, and it's really effectively managed these days.

If you have pain, speak up; they WILL address it. The days of pain medications only every 3 or 4 hours is long gone.

Much luck, you'll do fine
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
#34909 01-29-2007 12:08 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I too was very anxious going into my surgery. The most invasive procedure I had before this tongue and neck surgery was a knee scoped, which is less than an hour. I was in for about 8 hours.

I had to be at the hospital early and as soon as I woke I was feeling nausious just because of the anxiety. Lucikly, I had some generic xanax around for other reasons and took one. I told the nurse who was prepping me that I took it and she said it was fine.

I was very naive going into my treatment and was most afraid of the surgery. It is the easy part unfortunatly.

I remember going into the operating room, my doctor was there and the positioned me on the table and then said night! Next thing I remember was waking up to some lady next to me who kept saying, "I'm going to puke." I hadn't yet opened my eyes but was putting my hands in that direction to block anything that may come my way. Again, my humor helped me deal with yet another situation.

Bottom line, do whatever it takes to get yourself to the hospital. Everything else will be taken care of for you.

Good luck.

Jim

T3N2aM0 SCC right oral tongue. Partial Glosectomy, Modified Neck disection for 1 Lymph Node. Dec. 2002. 35 IMRT 2003.
#34910 01-29-2007 02:44 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Peace,
This can be done and you will see it through. Remember my dear friend you have cancer cancer does not have you, take charge and control of this fight. You can only control how you respond and that gives you the ultimate control. Hang in there we will all be here for you. We all have the right to be scaredand it is acary at moments so call in all bets, lean on your loved ones, friends and family as well as your doctors. You must convince yourself that you WILL be one of those who win.
Lenny

#34911 01-29-2007 03:26 PM

Peace,

My surgery was 14 hours. I was 53 then -- now I'm 57.

My team made sure that I never really felt any pain. Fear, yes -- pain, no -- but I got past the fear when my surgeon said, "you're young and you have the strength to deal with this." For some reason, I believed him... and he was right.

YOU are young and YOU have the strength to deal with this. Believe me... I'm rooting for you!

Ken

SCCA T2N1M0 diagnosed 11/02, radical neck dissection, 7 weeks radiation, 6 surgeries to deal with osteonecrosis, 10 weeks hyperbaric oxygen. "Live strong. Laugh often."
#34912 02-09-2007 07:55 AM

My mom is having her lower jaw removed and rebuilt with the fibula and I am terriied for her. This her 5th surgery. 1st was a neck dissection, 2nd removal of the muscle on the right side of neck, 3rd partial removal of palate and the last surgery partial removal of the tongue. this has been the worst 3 years of out lives and I would love to hear from anyone who's had the jaw removed. She's also ahd radiation 2xs so the surgery will be much harder and we dont know what to expect. She is scheduled for Mar 2. I apprecaite any input and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone and their families

#34913 02-09-2007 10:19 AM

Annie, I had 40% of my jaw removed, and rebuilt with fibula and titanium. I was hospitalized for about 2 weeks, and the surgery necessitated a feeding tube and a tracheostomy. That said, when I woke up post surgery I was able to talk immediately. I had a bit of limitation in my mouth opening, and a very slight speech deficit. The surgical inscision is significant, but the scar is almost invisible now, 9 months out.

It's a long surgery due to the micro vascular work (mine was 17 hours) but to be honest, I think of all the surgical procedures that occur with oral cancer, this is probably one of the most straightforward in terms of recovering functionality afterwards.

I'm really sorry to hear she's had such a struggle with it. I am not quite a year out from diagnosis, and it has been incredibly difficult from many different perspectives. Hopefully this will be the definitive surggery that will lead to a turnaround in her fortunes.

If there is anything additional that you would like to ask, or if your Mom wants some specific details, send me a PM and I'll try and pass along my experiences in greater detail
My prayers are with you,
Wayne

#34914 02-15-2007 05:22 AM

Wayne,
Thank you for writing. You did ease my mind a bit I'm just so scared for her. I did send you a PM and I look forward to hearing from you.

I hope your feeling well.

My prayers are with you.
Lori

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members