Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

It actually felt nice to get the patches off. They kind of itched and I could have a good scratch.

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi Paul,

I know first hand about that Irish skin, it turns red all by itself for no particular reasons. My husband has very sensitive skin too but did okay with the patch. It wasn't as bad as tape. It does sound like it's time for the patch for your Mom and they'll have her rotate the sites. You shouldn't have any problems getting it off. Sorry to hear that she's getting worse - you hang in there. How are you and your family holding up?

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Paul,

Just to let you know you and your mom are in my thoughts today !

Sharlee

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
Paul R Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

A patient of my sister gave her a great suggestion on swallowing the cut in half pills... She said to take the cut pill and rub it against butter. This coats the exposed medicine so that it won't burn her mouth... It also provides lubricant that helps slide the pill down her throat. I told my sister that a sign of a good doctor is they always listen and learn from their patients!!!

On Friday, we met with the hospice folks. Mom is still clinging to her independence. But, she is accepting (actually said she likes it!!!) the hospice health care visits each day. Besides the hospice worker coming each day, the visiting nurse is now stopping by twice per week. I can't thank these people enough...

G T & J,

Thanks for the heads up on the pain patches. Mom is able to control the burn by taking a spoon full of her Bassetts butterscotch vanilla ice cream immediately after swallowing the medication.

Sharlee,

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement... Love your first name... Very pretty...

Thanks,
Paul

JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Paul, sending you strenght and comfort prayers today and tomorrow. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Hi Paul,
That's a great idea on the butter and I'm glad to hear that your Mom is still able to have her daily Bassetts. Good luck.
Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
lgh Offline

Hi Paul,

We are going through a similar experience with my Mom. She was diagnosed in Sept 03 and since has had radiation and 4 different major surgeries. The doctors have given her 6 months. She did take the PEG - the first one failed after 3 weeks but they were able to place a new one 10 days ago. Good thing because she uses it all the time for nutrition and her meds. Over the last 10 days she has move to the patch for pain meds. Started a 12 mcg/hr and with the most recent one is up to 50 mcg/hr and is taking liquid morphine in the PEG 3-4 times per day for breakthrough pain. We can no longer understand her speech - since my sister and I both live far away, she asked for a fax machine to be able to communicate with us. That is working out well. Technology is keeping me sane. I just don't know what to expect over the months to come. Anyone have any experiences that would like to share? The unknown is so scary. My Mom has been my role model and hero all my life - this is so difficult to go through. Fortunately, I have a job that will allow me to work from anywhere - I suspect that soon, I will be spending more time with my Mom.

Take care and know that you are not alone.

LGH & Paul

Just know that my thoughts and prayers are with both of you and yor families durng these trying times..

Sharlee

Ps thanks Paul..My name would have been Charlie if was a boy , however Mom still wanted to name me that and Gramma was like NO WAY LOL ( god reest her soul !)

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery

LGH & Paul

Just know that my thoughts and prayers are with both of you and yor families durng these trying times..

Sharlee

Ps thanks Paul..My name would have been Charlie if was a boy , however Mom still wanted to name me that and Gramma was like NO WAY LOL ( god reest her soul !)

Sharlee
JAM Offline

Dear lgh, Having just dealt with " the last 6 months", which could be 3 months or 12 months, depending on the person, I will share with you whatever you want to know about how to prepare forward. Does your family have Hospice involved yet? If not, it would be a good thing to do. Do you have a "Case manager" in her Insurance program [assuming that she has Ins. other than Medicare] there are many things your family can do to make the inevitable more bearable. The bottom line at this point is to be actively engaged in what is happening from here on out and being prepared to say the important things you want to say. I will answer any questions I can based on our journey- just e-mail me or send me a # where I can call you. This is tough stuff, so don't feel bad about asking for help. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users