Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Stephany-

I sent you a private email, but I'm not sure it went through (computer glitch). Let me know. I can send it again.

As a fellow caregiver I know EXACTLY what YOU are going through. I live close to you and am willing to get together if you need to vent.

Lorie

Lorie/wife of Don, DX:8-7-03, Tonsil cancer left side stage III, IMRT x 35, 6 chemo (Cisplatin/Taxol), clear CT Scan 12-26-2003. Mets to both lungs & AML 11-6-05, mets to brain Jan 2006, mets to liver & bones April 2006, passed away July 20, 2006.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Stephany,
I can't answer if it's recurrent cancer or not, I'm not knowledgable enough about it all. I just remember Brian stating that he felt many recurances were NOT a new cancer but left over cancer that radiation didn't take care of. My doctor told me that even though they had large, clean margins from the surgery they were still going to do radiation to "mop and clean" up any microscopic cancer cells that might have been missed. His explanation made sense to me. When I had a CAT scan after diagnosis to check for the spread of the cancer to my lungs, etc. my scans showed nothing. Yet, the removal of the lymphnodes showed one lymphode lying against the tumor had microscopic cancer in it.
My heart breaks to hear you say that your mom cries every day, I can only imagine what she is going through and what you are going through. I can FEEL my kids watching me sometimes, not as often as a few months ago, but it still happens. And I KNOW they are having a fearful moment, wondering what they will do if my cancer comes back. We patients have the easy job in my opinion. Give your mom time to come to grips with this new diagnosis and I bet she will find a strength to fight this. I can tell you this, in her shoes I would have the surgery to remove the rest of my jaw. I know it sounds scary but it could very well save her life. She still has radiation to fight this with also, I would make sure she has all the information and knowledge then ask her about the surgery again. Just my suggestion, I don't want to over step my boundries here with advice, I'm new at this!
I would love to have you talk to my oldest daughter. How old are you?
Take care,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello Lori,

I did not get your email. :-( Please send me an email hat I can you use to email you. My email is [email protected] or you can email me an address that I can send it to. My server could be blocking you, I dont know. I would love to talk with you. That would be great. I think we could help one another and i am glad we are close to one another.

Stephany

Stephany.Daughter of mother who passed away 3/26/05 from Recurrent Gum Squamous Cell Carcinoma. She had 3 surgeries, and 6 weeks radiation, and then passed due to infection. I miss her very much. She was 65 years young when she passed. Love you Mom!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Minnie,

I am 39 ( as of a week ago LOL), I have a twin sister also. I would love to speak with your daughter and you sometime. I think we could help one another. My email is [email protected]

THanks
Stephany

Stephany.Daughter of mother who passed away 3/26/05 from Recurrent Gum Squamous Cell Carcinoma. She had 3 surgeries, and 6 weeks radiation, and then passed due to infection. I miss her very much. She was 65 years young when she passed. Love you Mom!

Stephany-

Ok, I sent you a private email to the address you gave. Wow...we are the same age!

Let your mom know that we are all sending healing thoughts and prayers her way. From the caregivers point of view I think sometimes we just need to sit and hold our loved one's hand while they (we) cry. I heard one time that like a plant, we only grow when watered. This is definitely a "growing" time. Thank God for all the wonderful SURVIVORS on this website!

Lorie

Lorie/wife of Don, DX:8-7-03, Tonsil cancer left side stage III, IMRT x 35, 6 chemo (Cisplatin/Taxol), clear CT Scan 12-26-2003. Mets to both lungs & AML 11-6-05, mets to brain Jan 2006, mets to liver & bones April 2006, passed away July 20, 2006.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Stephany, and All,

I am also 39 years old, and my 59 year old father had his 20th out of 30 scheduled IMRT treatments
He has T2 SCC in his cheek from lip to ear on the
right side, doctor felt cancer in two lymph
nodes on the same side and they are being hit as well.

The first week of radiation, he began
taking Tylenol with codeine for mouth pain. It helps him a lot.

The second week of radiation, he started a 25 mg. morphine patch for mouth pain.

The third week of radiation he developed a yeast infection in his mouth. Very painful. Doctor told him instead of taking the morphine patch off and replacing it on the third day, to keep it on and add a new one. My dad got very sick, and this lasted until he decided one morphine patch was enough. He hast taken two rounds of diflucan for the infection, which seems to want to persist, but is much better. He is eating yogurt daily and we got some acidophilus from the pharmacy and he sprinkles that on the yogurt. He holds this in his mouth and it is comforting. The rinse that is mandatory for him, 2 parts baking soda, to 1 part salt, to 4 parts water rinses help alot. He does this all day, doctor says you can't do it too much. It promotes healing, and helps reduce the infection, and clears food and drink from his mouth which contributes to the yeast infection.

The fourth week of radiation, he is getting massive amounts of phlem he gets sick on. But today, his 20th treatment, he feels good! He's lost 13# total, his doctor doesn't like this, but my dad is eating solid food, even though he has no taste buds, and tries the mind over matter approach when he can. His treatment is at Cleveland Clinic, 60 miles from home, his wife and brother do the driving. I go with them on Wednesdays to see the doctor, I can't leave work much more than that yet. He is likely to receive brachy therapy when IMRT is over. I cannot believe the difference in the tumor today from 2 weeks ago, it truly looks like precision work, and it looks like the healing is beginning. For this I am grateful! I have been so worried! He says the only thing he can't handle is the pain from the yeast infection, so you might want to keep a close eye out for this. I will be thinking of you and your mom and wondering how it's going, so please keep updating!

I'm glad I found OCF, thank you!

Dad had oral lichens planus, and oral leukoplakia before T2 SCC,2 nodes.
DX10/23/03
IMRT 12/29/03.30 rad,3 boost.
Brachytherapy 3/8-3/11/04.
Recurrence Nov07 Stage IV.
4 Surgeries
No rads, no chemo
I have oral lichens planus,
thrush,leukoplakia 2/20/08
6/2/08 biopsies "inflammation"

Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Lorie,

What a doll you are. Thanks for the post. How are you doing? I did not get your private email. Please try again to [email protected] I feel bad that I am not receiving it because I would like to email you back. Please try again. Thanks.

Stephany

Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello Dell,

Thanks so much for the helpful information. At least I have an idea as to what to watch out for. How is your father doing? I am so glad he is starting to heal.

What can I tell my mother to do to prevent a yeast infection. I am scared for my mom. The unknown is always scary. Sometimes, I find my mind thinking the worst and I have to stop myself and think positively. But, it is hard as you know when you are dealing with the "C" word. ANd I ask, Why my mom? But, then again, I am sure everyone asks that questions. The perplexing thing for me is that my mom doesnt smoke or drink and got this weird gum cancer that spread to her jaw. Life is unpredictable at times.

Wow! What a strong man your father is. Please tell him that I am praying for him and for you and your family.

God Bless you and your family.

Stephany

Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

TO EVERYONE, MY FRIENDS,

I cant thank everyone that has posted and emailed me enough for the kind and supportive words. My mom is scheduled for Surgery on in three weeks and then will start 6 weeks of radiation after the surgery. I am scared. They want to remove the rest of her teeth and gums and replace her gums with tissue from her hip.

I was very upset and depressed when I first got the news last week and then I found this web site. It has given me so much hope and support that I feel stronger each day. It has meant so much to me to know that such kind people in this world exist.

To everyone, I wish you health and happiness for you and your families. I am hopeful that one day there will be a cure for cancer and that people wont have to suffer from this anymore.

God Bless
Stephany

Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Lori,

Is your email didier........Please let me know. Then I did receive yoru email and i replied

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics