Next Thread
Print Thread
#33082 12-19-2003 02:29 PM
patty G Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted or started a topic in quite awhile.I've had a few battles with strep throat and a cold.It seems everyone I speak to has been sick though.There are a few issues that Joe is facing that I'd like everyones opinion on.He's now 4 weeks post surgery.He is supposed to start radiation and chemo treatments within the next 2 weeks.He came through the surgery and recovery with flying colors,just with the general side effects of the neck dissection.Well 2 weeks ago he started to develop a lump on the left side of his jaw.The same side that he had all the surgery done.It took me about a week to convince him to see the surgeon to have him check it out.The surgeon sent him for a MRI of the head and neck and we received the results today.It appears that it is mets from the original tumor.It appears that it was in his jaw bone and was undetectable until now.The surgeon now wants to remove his left mandibular jaw bone and replace it.The problem I have is that it will delay his radiation and chemo until he heals from this surgery.If his cancer is so agressive that he has a 4.5cm tumor in his jaw bone that was undetectable until now,what will happen if he delays rad and chemo for another 5 weeks????The surgeon said that surgery is his only option with this current tumor.His radiation oncologist wants to try to shrink the tumor first.He is set to have 8 weeks of radiation 2 times a day 5 days a week.We're still waiting on the frequency of the chemo treatments.These doctors are not agreeing on his course of treatment.The surgeon wants surgery ASAP and the rad oncologist says we can't delay radiation.I just don't know what to do.They want him to make a choice by Monday of which way he wants to go.I personally want to take him tget second opinions now,but I think with the holidays I'd be hard pressed to get any appointments this week.Does anyone have any suggestions?I could really use some insight.

Patty

Caretaker of Joe,10/03 malignant melanoma of the tongue.
50% tongue removed,left radical neck dissection.11/03.Recurrence
to jaw and neck and multiple mets to major organs 1/2004
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Patty,

We had a similar situation with Heather. Her cancer moved to her spine. We were also told that if she had surgery to remove the tumor, she would have to wait a few weeks before she could start chemo. Since she also had the oropharyngeal tumor growing aggressively and the operation itself carried a relatively high risk of paralysis, she chose to start the chemo first, with the idea that she could have the tumor removed and spine repaired later. However, when we went to see a different neurosurgeon a couple months later, he said she wouldn't have had to wait to start chemo. He has done surgery and had people start RAD the following day, so he felt she would have been able to start chemo right away. He also said the risk of the surgery itself going wrong and causing paralysis was very small. If we would have went to him for a second opinion right away, Heather would probably have opted for the surgery first. It may not have changed the final outcome, but she would have had a better quality of life for her remaining months.

Joe's situation is different in that his tumor won't incapacitate him like Heather's spinal tumor did her. But I think her story shows the importance of getting a second opinion. If you can get Joe in to see another doctor soon, I would. If he really does have to wait 5 weeks after surgery to start RAD, IMHO I would choose the RAD and chemo first. I didn't always help Heather make the right choice, though, so I don't know how much weight my opinion should carry. It's just my 2 cents. I wish you and Joe the best.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
patty G Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Rosie,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post.We have decided to go with the chemo and radiation first and hope for the best.The surgeon isn't happy about it but he will go by what we wish.It is such a hard choice but we're going to leave it in gods'hands.I wish you and your family a very happy and blessed holiday.

Patty

Caretaker of Joe,10/03 malignant melanoma of the tongue.
50% tongue removed,left radical neck dissection.11/03.Recurrence
to jaw and neck and multiple mets to major organs 1/2004

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users